Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1983P Rim Cud

Post Thanks / Like
    On the reverse, it looks like there is some weird bump on the first vertical bar of the "N" in UNITED at least while magnifying the pic in my phone.

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mustbebob View Post
    There is indeed a couple of things going on with that coin. The Rim cud is nice and that could give us a clue about some of the other anomalies. If the rim had chipped enough for a cud then that might be a part of the die wear (which you already identified). The extra rim I am sure Mike Diamond did an article about, but I can't recall when. It could also be something as simple as a gouge that mimics an extra rim. I will see if I can track that info down for you. I don't have time now, but I would recommend looking through striking errors for that info.

http://www.error-ref.com/part-vi-striking-errors/

I am thinking that the incuse damage might be the result of the ejection of the coin after the strike.
    Thank you Bob for taking a look! The anomaly on this coin is very minor, so it's not a good example. But it did make me stop and do a double take. I found the article Mike Diamond wrote for CoinWorld about doubled rims, it's here https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-co...ances.all.html

and after reading the link you provided about striking errors http://www.error-ref.com/part-vi-striking-errors/ I'm thinking maybe it's just slide MD or ejection doubling like you said. This is really out of my league maybe a better example will show up so we can have more to look at.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coin5 View Post
    On the reverse, it looks like there is some weird bump on the first vertical bar of the "N" in UNITED at least while magnifying the pic in my phone.
    Thank you Coin5, I'm soaking the coin in acetone to clean up the reverse so I can see what's going on but I think it took a hit. Let me see if some of the crud will come off, it's pretty bad

5. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coin5 View Post
    Coin5, I'm not sure what this is. It looks like many of the devices of US of America have this hollowed out look, sunken with higher ridges along the edges. So I'm thinking this incuse area looked raised in the full coin shot because I've had that happen before. Maybe this is some kind of die wear? Hopefully the guys will chime in!
    Attached Images Attached Images