Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Three 2018 D Rolls... guess how many keepers!

So I have been sitting on three rolls of 2018 D pennies. How many spot free MS-65 or better pennies will I find?

1C1CEFB1-D087-4B2B-AD31-1321C7224C31.jpg B8F94538-4E5B-4FD0-AC9F-22B0F05076A2.jpg

2. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spot free? Probably about 7 if you're lucky.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know of 6 off hand that will not be spot free Those look like Loomis rolls so you may get a couple spot free in the MS60 - MS63 range and maybe 1 at MS65???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

5. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It will depend on your own criteria of what spot free is.
    You'll find a bunch of 65 or better coins, they'll probably almost all have some tiny spots and they'll have more if you put them in flips and look again in a few years.

Some dates like in the 60s were mostly in the 63-64 grades, moderns are higher so you'll get lots of 65-66 coins, even 67 and 68 depending on the rolls and who grades them. In reality, 64 and below are kinda scarce in most modern rolls.

I would expect if you sent the 10 best coins to ANACs, you might get 65s-66s-67s and maybe 68s.
    Last edited by GrumpyEd; 07-30-2018 at 06:52 AM.

7. Thanks Maineman750 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ran across several rolls, yesterday, with no bank or security markings... They look like the Loomis rolls but I have also seen these same wrappers at the store and on line... Could they be from a company that pulls coins from fountains??? Something like that would speed up the separation/rolling process plus they clean the coins prior to wrapping them up!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for taking so long to reply to this thread. Life got busy and hectic really fast. So for me, the coin has to be darn near spot free to get a MS-65. If there is spotting in the obeverse details or fields I couldn't see it getting a 65. Perhaps minor spotting in the letters. I found three coins with a near perfect squeeze and no major dings; minor spotting. Nothing that would grade over a MS-63 in my books. These rolls were very disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is disappointing... Hopefully the next set of rolls will yield better results!!!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I found three coins with a near perfect squeeze and no major dings; minor spotting. Nothing that would grade over a MS-63 in my books.
    I agree with you but I think TPGs would grade them higher. If you sent the ones you think are 63s they would grade higher but the catch 22 is that most TPGs don't guarantee that copper will stay the same so what they grade 65 or 66 today that has some light milk spots or light spots will probably get worse in time and be 63s in the future.

It's the reason people pay extra for older slabs because the coins get more stable over time. A full red cent in an older green PCGS slab or an even older rattler slab is worth more than a freshly graded one because the older ones had some time to get stable.

Check this out, but since then most TPGs have changed their guarantee so they will not pay when copper spots.

Link

12. Thanks emodx thanked for this post