Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 94
    Ed, thank you for all of your help on this too!! Your expertise is always so appreciated!

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 391
    I have to strongly disagree with the folded over finned rim analysis on your coin. As Ed pointed out, a finned rim would not exhibit as that wide. In other words, a finned rim does not start in the middle of the rim. It would begin right along the edge, like the one Jim pictured in the other thread.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

3. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    I have to strongly disagree with the folded over finned rim analysis on your coin. As Ed pointed out, a finned rim would not exhibit as that wide. In other words, a finned rim does not start in the middle of the rim. It would begin right along the edge, like the one Jim pictured in the other thread.
    I guess I have totally misunderstood Will. Would you care to take a look at this coin in hand?

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    Excellent follow up pics Jon... Thanks... It appears to be solid along the edge where the separation would show if it were a folded over finned rim... I would have to say not a finned rim... Here is an article from coin talk on finned rims https://www.cointalk.com/threads/fin...h-post.290930/ some nice finned rim pics... Also a link to error ref http://www.error-ref.com/?s=Finned+rim If I read the definition correctly a finned rim can be located in a small area as exhibited on your coin??? Hopefully Will chimes back in!!!

Added - I reset your Mark as Best Answer!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

6. Thanks makecents, Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Excellent follow up pics Jon... Thanks... It appears to be solid along the edge where the separation would show if it were a folded over finned rim... I would have to say not a finned rim... Here is an article from coin talk on finned rims https://www.cointalk.com/threads/fin...h-post.290930/ some nice finned rim pics... Also a link to error ref http://www.error-ref.com/?s=Finned+rim If I read the definition correctly a finned rim can be located in a small area as exhibited on your coin??? Hopefully Will chimes back in!!!

Added - I reset your Mark as Best Answer!!!
    Thank you sir!! Good links too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    Thank you sir!! Good links too!
    I had to google it to find the references... I couldn't find my links... Hope that info helped a bit!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

9. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    Sorry but I got lost and just now found this thread again! Jon thank you for this thread, it explains a lot! And with Ed, Jim and Will's help on this one (and Jim's finned rim in his linked thread) things started to make sense to me! So your coin is not a finned rim. Seems like finned rims would be hard to see after being in circulation for awhile. Maybe that's why we don't see enough of them to try to figure them out?

11. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jon, I think you may have a rim cud here. I think you should submit it to JC and see what he says.

Thanks,
    Adrian