Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Thank you very much Jon and Adrian for the kind words! I am sorry but I can't tell from the pics. I know how difficult it is to take clear pics of these shiny Shield cents and I wish I could help you with this, but I still struggle with them myself. Adrian, with your scope are you able to change any of the settings or lighting?
    Yes, this one looks tough to make the right call, it's very weak and the pics aren't very clear. Maybe I got too optimistic and picky with it. I think I'll leave it aside for now while I keep learning easier things and find better ways to take the pictures which I have to do anyways. I have yet to find my first DD
    Yes, I can change lights and settings in my scope; but I think the real problem with the glare is the scope light coming straight from above is getting reflected in the shiny coin surface. I've been thinking on preparing a jig with several lights in an angle to illuminate the coin from every direction (360 degrees) to try avoid direct reflections into the scope and the appearance of shady areas also. That's a future project though...

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Yes, but try deleting the unnecessary file attachment because people may still click on the wrong one and get the error message.

(A suggestion when attaching images and before submitting. When you have completed attaching and uploading the files, Click the "DONE" button next to where the thumbnails are placed.
    This allows the thread to stay open while viewing the images in a separate tab. No need to keep backing out of viewing an image to see the next one.)
    I already deleted the unnecessary file attachments. I'm having problems with my internet connection and speed, which could have caused the problem as the comm with the server may have failed???
    I'll try to follow your suggestion when attaching pictures. I haven't seen the done button though. Will try next time.
    Thank you so much for all your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 62
    Quote Originally Posted by Coin5 View Post
    I already deleted the unnecessary file attachments. I'm having problems with my internet connection and speed, which could have caused the problem as the comm with the server may have failed???
    I'll try to follow your suggestion when attaching pictures. I haven't seen the done button though. Will try next time.
    Thank you so much for all your help.
    You're welcome.
    Try the "Search" feature on this site for great info from many people here. I think a "Snake" style, long, segmented lite you can adjust might be what you are talking about. Try this link to Jansjo lighting. Most people use filters to reduce the glare.
    LINK ..

5. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 392
    Like Vivian, I also cannot make a determination from the pictures. If you are sure it is raised, it could easily just be a plating blister there. You could try to push (hard) with a toothpick on the bulge and see if it collapses.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

7. Thanks VAB2013, Coin5, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Coin5, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    You're welcome.
    Try the "Search" feature on this site for great info from many people here. I think a "Snake" style, long, segmented lite you can adjust might be what you are talking about. Try this link to Jansjo lighting. Most people use filters to reduce the glare.
    LINK ..
    Yes, using the search feature in the forum is a great idea and I will start doing that.
    Yes, that's the kind of light fixture I'm thinking about.
    The link took me to a very, very interesting thread where great minds are trying to apply the familiar scientific method to explain how a particular error is created. Very, productive reading!!!
    Thanks

9. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    Like Vivian, I also cannot make a determination from the pictures. If you are sure it is raised, it could easily just be a plating blister there. You could try to push (hard) with a toothpick on the bulge and see if it collapses.
    Looks like you nailed it!!. I applied pressure and rubbed it with a pen and then a tooth pic to the point of scratching the surface and most of the raised feature is now kaput.
    Definitely a plating blister (I guess).
    Thanks,
    Adrian
    Here is a picture showing the result of my destructive experiment.
    Mon Aug 06 18-34-47.jpg

11. Thanks willbrooks, VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes willbrooks, VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    Thank you for the update Coin5! And... thank you Will for nailing it!

13. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    I would say that Adrian nailed it except in this case a tooth pick was used
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

15. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    I would say that Adrian nailed it except in this case a tooth pick was used
    Yes, and from now on I'll keep my nails (toothpics) nearby.

17. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    Quote Originally Posted by Coin5 View Post
    Yes, and from now on I'll keep my nails (toothpics) nearby.
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

19. Thanks Coin5, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, VAB2013 liked this post