Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, who has bought up all the BU Rolls :-)

Hi, I have been building short sets of BU Lincoln wheats for years now and had no trouble until this year. I can't seem to find good rolls of BU's anywhere. I have pretty much exhausted the two sites I have recently gotten them from. Cheap Slab Store and realoldstuff.com used to have lots of them, now nothing.
    Doe's anyone know of other good sites to get NICE rolls from? Kind of getting desperate to get this current set completed let alone start another.
    Occasionally there are a couple of good ones on ebay but most of them are junk. I only consider those where they show both sides of ALL of the coins in the roll. Got burned once to often, Not to mention cent rolls with a great flying eagle on one end and a dime on the other lol. Honestly, do people really bid on those things?
    Well, enough complaining.. anyone got some help for me please?

2. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard!

I see the same thing, the big sellers that sold unc wheat rolls (high prices and all) have sort of dried up. The other one is APMEX, in the past they had nice better date old unc wheat rolls at high prices but they have nothing now, not even the common stuff like 58-Ds.

Ebay is hit and miss, some good stuff if you can sort through all the other stuff.

My best luck has been dealers and shows. You need to be relentless with it, visit each local shop a few times a year and each time ask if they have unc rolls, most of the time they'll grunt and say nope but if you keep asking over time eventually you might find one with a bonanza of rolls. It's the sort of thing they don't often have and when they buy a collection with unc rolls they are eager to sell them.

Back to what you said, my only guess is some big buyer cleaned out the rolls, maybe one of the TV outfits is hoarding up to sell unc sets or something. Still seams odd, they even managed to dry up the common dates.

4. Likes makecents, Indie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard!

6. Likes Indie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the LCF!! I am new to Lincolns but have noticed similar things happening with other denominations. It's been a few years back now since the big hike in silver and gold and you could find whatever you wanted for a couple years after that, in any grade you wanted. Every year since then though, it has been slowly drying up. I think it is both big buyers and also just a collective of the common person, hoarding and hoping to catch what happened back in 2011 again.

8. Likes GrumpyEd, Indie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, APMEX had quite a few Lincoln rolls from 2005 to 2010 even though they were almost full blown single piece retail. I think like many dealers back then they were just inhaling profit from the 100 year Lincoln cent centennial . Actually haven't seen any copper at all on APMEX for the last several years. While my two old standbys still have a few common rolls from 1941-58, unfortunately, most of those I do not need and the ones I do are a bit out of reasonable price range.

I have and still do hit every dealer within 50 miles of home and the few coin shows in that area that come up. Most of the store dealers have known me for years. The problem with that is they don't want to sell me rolls, all want is to buy rolls from me for resale :-). That doesn't help my collection much. All that shows me is that they also can't find anything regionally, or nationally.

For some reason I just can't wrap my head around a couple of people or businesses grabbing up all the bu rolls that are out there. While I can believe some of the major dealers out there have mass slabbed the best stuff, that still can't come close to accounting for the hundreds of millions of rolls that exist in that date range.

Not sure where to go from here, hoping for some suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    I kind of agree, at least with the other denominations point. A friend of mine who is big into Roosevelt's says the same thing. To some extent I do agree with lots of non-collectors hoarding for a repeat (which was really based on the centennial thing for Lincolns), but belonging to several coin clubs I have found all of us who do rolls are in the same boat. I am sure some of them are just being cautious in revealing there sources, but many of us work together to expand the clubs resources and all of us are having trouble.

I find it interesting that you can still get any number of singles in choice to gem bu at retail, but not rolls. That tells me they are out there, just getting more expensive to buy. I am beginning to think that the usual greed thing is happening, the same as the PCGS NGC bull. You don't really believe the people who are actually doing the grading of millions of coins a year have a real clue I hope. But, I rant on. I won't go there. Just frustrated.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    Hi, I have been building short sets of BU Lincoln wheats for years now and had no trouble until this year. I can't seem to find good rolls of BU's anywhere. I have pretty much exhausted the two sites I have recently gotten them from. Cheap Slab Store and realoldstuff.com used to have lots of them, now nothing.
    Doe's anyone know of other good sites to get NICE rolls from? Kind of getting desperate to get this current set completed let alone start another.
    Occasionally there are a couple of good ones on ebay but most of them are junk. I only consider those where they show both sides of ALL of the coins in the roll. Got burned once to often, Not to mention cent rolls with a great flying eagle on one end and a dime on the other lol. Honestly, do people really bid on those things?
    Well, enough complaining.. anyone got some help for me please?
    Welcome.
    Curious, what years you are you having trouble finding?

13. Likes Indie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    having trouble with early 40's and late 40's to early 50's in choice to gem. No trouble with spotted rb and junk bu rolls, I can get them on ebay. :-)
    Actually, I can use any other choice to gem rolls in bu also as I donate a few to our local kids coin club for their store ( they sell them at their meetings to raise money for field trips and the club collection).

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It stands to reason that the supply will dry up. I mean, they aren't making new ones after all.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.