Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 15
    Quote Originally Posted by Coin5 View Post
    As a follow up, here is another 1984 P with a similar if not the same Die Crack. The Die Gouges on the obverse below the bust are not present though. I imagine they can't be used as die markers as the obverse die can be changed.
    Thanks.

Attachment 133019Attachment 133020Attachment 133021Attachment 133022
    This die crack looks straight to me, whereas the first coin you posted looks more like a RIDB. The die cracks are markers for that particular cent. Dies being changed out is normally discovered when the attributer is studying different Stages of a Variety. Otherwise it would be difficult to know for sure unless the obverse of a cent is obviously EDS and the reverse of the same coin is obviously VLDS then more than likely the obverse die was changed out.

2. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    This die crack looks straight to me, whereas the first coin you posted looks more like a RIDB. The die cracks are markers for that particular cent. Dies being changed out is normally discovered when the attributer is studying different Stages of a Variety. Otherwise it would be difficult to know for sure unless the obverse of a cent is obviously EDS and the reverse of the same coin is obviously VLDS then more than likely the obverse die was changed out.
    I'm not sure; but from what you said they should be different cracks though. Or could it be that they are different ages of the same????

Interesting explanation about changing dies!!!
    Thanks Viv.

4. Likes GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 15
    Quote Originally Posted by Coin5 View Post
    I'm not sure; but from what you said they should be different cracks though. Or could it be that they are different ages of the same????

Interesting explanation about changing dies!!!
    Thanks Viv.
    You're welcome Adrian! Seems logical that a straight die crack could continue to break and become a RIDB or IDB... could be that they all originate from a die crack and some just get bigger. Good question for the experts!

6. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 108
    Cracks grow but the thing to look for is that the original section can't move, it can extend, get wider, get blobby but what is already there can not move or go away.

8. Thanks Coin5, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I took one pic of each coin trying to take them as similar as possible. Same magnification, focus, orientation, etc. The start of the cracks on the rim was used as the reference and located at the bottom right corner of the frame. They can be observed now in succession for ease of comparison.
    They look like different cracks; but please take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think.
    Thanks
    Wed Aug 15 16-47-41.jpgWed Aug 15 16-59-38.jpg

10. Thanks GrumpyEd, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 108
    They look like different cracks; but please take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think.
    They look different, even the part going to the rim is angled differently.

Certain dates have cracks in certain areas, many dates have BIEs, 83 has tons of corner cracks like this 84, the 50s had tons of skull cracks, many dates have spikes, the steel cents often crack around/over the VDB.

This is one reason to be careful using things like that as markers because there can be very similar ones.

12. Thanks Coin5, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are following this thread and are interested, here is another 1984 P showing the early stages of a different (than the previous 2) die crack in the same location (Memorial Right Bottom Corner).
    Thanks
    Thu Aug 16 10-48-26.jpgThu Aug 16 10-49-17.jpgThu Aug 16 10-50-23.jpgThu Aug 16 10-51-42.jpg