Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1958 D OBW?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

1958 D OBW?

Question one: do you think this is an OBW roll? I think it is. Question two: What makes this roll worth the current bid? From my point of view as a varieties nut the 1MM-021 is the only one that would possibly make it worth that price and what are the chances that you would find one in a single roll. Probably astronomical.

Reason I'm posting is because I have an offer to buy OBW rolls at $8 each. Would you go for that?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-D-Linc...A0.H0.X19.TRS2

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming it is an OBW (I haven't looked into if that bank existed in 58 or anything but assuming it's ok).

I would say it's not a bargain and more than I'd want to pay but OBWs on ebay have been selling pretty well so it's not extremely out of line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roller View Post
    Question one: do you think this is an OBW roll? I think it is. Question two: What makes this roll worth the current bid? From my point of view as a varieties nut the 1MM-021 is the only one that would possibly make it worth that price and what are the chances that you would find one in a single roll. Probably astronomical.

Reason I'm posting is because I have an offer to buy OBW rolls at $8 each. Would you go for that?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-D-Linc...A0.H0.X19.TRS2
    To me it does appear unopened but as Ed says not sure if the bank was in business then.
    I have seen most unopened rolls of wheats on the Bay going for north of thirty!

Question George - Did you mean 1MM-020?
    Or 1MM-001
    Or 1MM-008
    Or 1MM-016

Or how about the overmintmark?
    The probabilities of any of these is very remote but ........

Edit: Here is an Ebay " Sold" search for 16 rolls, '56, '57 & '58 Denver that sold for $299.00 ($18.69 each).
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 08-12-2018 at 01:17 PM.

5. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    To me it does appear unopened but as Ed says not sure if the bank was in business then.
    I have seen most unopened rolls of wheats on the Bay going for north of thirty!

Question George - Did you mean 1MM-020?
    Or 1MM-001
    Or 1MM-008
    Or 1MM-016

Or how about the overmintmark?
    The probabilities of any of these is very remote but ........

Edit: Here is an Ebay " Sold" search for 16 rolls, '56, '57 & '58 Denver that sold for $299.00 ($18.69 each).
    Your quote recites a 1956D. This is a '58.

7. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your quote recites a 1956D. This is a '58.
    Thanks George.
    I guess my cold is affecting me worse than I thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I'm biased because for me if I had a random unc OBW wheat roll I'd be sad if it was a 58-P or D roll, maybe because there are so many of them. I'd rather it be another date, even other 50s D rolls would be more exiting.

The first thing I think of with 58-Ds are RPM-1 because it's sort of big and easy to see and pretty well known but it's not a big value coin.
    RPM-21 is a big value coin but I don't see a ton of interest in them. It's supposedly has tons of stuff going on but most of it is pretty tiny. It's one of those coins where the experts said what it is and I believe it but to me it just doesn't look so convincing so I'm just interested because of the "book value". To me the 52-D RPM-15 on an unc looks like a D near the rim even with no loupe so it's exiting, the 58-D RPM-21 might be missed, I bet I missed some because everything is so tiny. On top of that I talk to a lot of variety collectors and nobody ever mentions it, if I was selling one I'd need to talk them into looking it up because I doubt it's on their radar.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that there may not be an extensive demand for the 021 but that may be because there are not a lot of them out there and being offered. Anyway, my point is that I try to justify spending that kind of money on rolls of this date. In that, if I find several of these and sell a few it will balance out the expense versus value issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that there may not be an extensive demand for the 021 but that may be because there are not a lot of them out there and being offered. Anyway, my point is that I try to justify spending that kind of money on rolls of this date. In that, if I find several of these and sell a few it will balance out the expense versus value issue.
    It sounds like you are offered a group of them for $8 each??? A good tactic to try is if they are all from the same group you can buy one or two of the rolls. If they have a bunch of RPMs buy the rest. Most of the time it's a feast or famine

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    It sounds like you are offered a group of them for $8 each??? A good tactic to try is if they are all from the same group you can buy one or two of the rolls. If they have a bunch of RPMs buy the rest. Most of the time it's a feast or famine
    Yep, that's one method of ferreting out the desirability. Trouble is that there is shipping involved and you never know what one man's OBW is. Anyway, whatever the risk, I thin I will take that tack.

13. Likes GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That roll looks legit to me. For sure I would pay up to $16 for that roll. I'm not sure I have that bank represented in my collection.

And BTW, I would not sell you any OBW 58-D rolls for $8. All you will get for that much is junk re-rolls.
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com