Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

RPM Identification

I went to school a few weeks ago on this forum and learned tips on identifying machine doubling. Now I would like to learn some tips on identifying rpm's. I have four 1974-S Lincoln's that I believe are rpm's and appreciate feedback on the subject. Thanks for the assistance. Hopefully I will get the hang of this quicker than my learning on machine doubling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (113.9 KB, 14 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (107.5 KB, 14 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (145.2 KB, 12 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (141.8 KB, 14 views)

2. Thanks VAB2013, Coin5, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Coin5, makecents liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    1974S used 2 different mint marks types. One of them was a defective punch. The first 3 you have there are just banged up, worn mint marks, I'm not even sure which type they are from your pictures due to the damage. But what you have on #4 is definitely from the defective mint mark punch. (I happen to be doing a study/article on this very punch as we speak.) The damaged punch is characterized by a split upper serif and curl (1 and 2), a blob at 3, and also a cavity right in the middle at 4. This is NOT an rpm. All coins bearing this mint mark have those same characteristics. Photo by Ray Parkhurst.
    74S Coin 5_denoted.jpg

*Important Note* There IS an RPM listed by coppercoins that had this defective punch. http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1974&die_id=1974s1mm001&die_stat e=mds When you look at this link, you will see an arrow pointing to the top split. That is actually NOT part of the RPM like it suggests; however, the doubled serif at the bottom is NOT characteristic of the defective punch, leading me to conclude that this listing is in fact an RPM. Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by willbrooks; 08-11-2018 at 03:49 PM.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

4. Thanks VAB2013, The Guide, Coin5, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, The Guide, Coin5, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    1974S used 2 different mint marks types. One of them was a defective punch. The first 3 you have there are just banged up, worn mint marks, I'm not even sure which type they are from your pictures due to the damage. But what you have on #4 is definitely from the defective mint mark punch. (I happen to be doing a study/article on this very punch as we speak.) The damaged punch is characterized by a split upper serif and curl (1 and 2), a blob at 3, and also a cavity right in the middle at 4. This is NOT an rpm. All coins bearing this mint mark have those same characteristics. Photo by Ray Parkhurst.
    74S Coin 5_denoted.jpg

*Important Note* There IS an RPM listed by coppercoins that had this defective punch. http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1974&die_id=1974s1mm001&die_stat e=mds When you look at this link, you will see an arrow pointing to the top split. That is actually NOT part of the RPM like it suggests; however, the doubled serif at the bottom is NOT characteristic of the defective punch, leading me to conclude that this listing is in fact an RPM. Hope that makes sense.
    Thank you again for the very informative explanation on what my coins exhibited.

6. Likes willbrooks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link that may help with the different MM styles on the 74S http://varietyvista.com/01b%20LC%20D...k%20Styles.htm and here is a link to VVs info on the messed up punch http://varietyvista.com/Doubled%20Mi...f%201974-S.htm I can not really tell which MM styles you have the pics are a little to blurry for me but Will does know his stuff!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

8. Thanks The Guide thanked for this post