Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Paid Member makecents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    4,466
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    274

    Is there a business strike with a proof die?

    I thought someone here was talking about a proof die being used for business strikes in some situations. I know 68's are a bold strike anyway but this coin looked a little different to me. The fields look really flat and not concave like proofs do but the rims and color are not right for a proof.

    Thanks for looking, Jon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
  3. #2
    Registered User GrumpyEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    5,563
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    842
    Jon,

    It looks pretty much normal as a bus strike.

    Maybe the S is making you more likely to think about proofs but there are lots of bus strike 68-S.

  4. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
  5. #3
    Paid Member makecents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    4,466
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    Jon,

    It looks pretty much normal as a bus strike.

    Maybe the S is making you more likely to think about proofs but there are lots of bus strike 68-S.
    You are probably right about the S messing with me. Back to my question though. Are there situations where the proof die was used for business strikes?

  6. #4
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    6,827
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    1879
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    You are probably right about the S messing with me. Back to my question though. Are there situations where the proof die was used for business strikes?
    Yes, the WAMs and CLAMs are instances of proof dies being mistakenly used on business strikes and vice versa.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

  7. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, GrumpyEd, VAB2013 liked this post
  8. #5
    Paid Member makecents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    4,466
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    Yes, the WAMs and CLAMs are instances of proof dies being mistakenly used on business strikes and vice versa.
    Ahhh, the WAMs and CLAMs. I did not realize that, just thought they were dies from prior or post years of what it should have been.

    By the way Will, I finally found my first WAM this weekend!!
    Last edited by makecents; 08-12-2018 at 02:53 PM.

  9. #6
    Registered User GrumpyEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    5,563
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    842
    There are older coins, like old 1800s stuff where they find bus strikes that were made with the same dies that were used for proofs but later were striking regular bus strike coins.

    The WAMs are sort of but they are different, they are reverse dies made with the proof hub BUT they were not prepared as proof dies, they were never dies that had been used on proofs, they're bus strike dies that were hubbed with the proof hub.

  10. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
  11. #7
    Registered User GrumpyEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    5,563
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    842
    My point being, there is no bus strike WAM where the die was polished or frosted and there is no proof CLAM where to die was not polished and frosted. They are all stuff made with the wrong hub but prepared the right way.

  12. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
  13. #8
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    6,827
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    1879
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    There are older coins, like old 1800s stuff where they find bus strikes that were made with the same dies that were used for proofs but later were striking regular bus strike coins.

    The WAMs are sort of but they are different, they are reverse dies made with the proof hub BUT they were not prepared as proof dies, they were never dies that had been used on proofs, they're bus strike dies that were hubbed with the proof hub.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    My point being, there is no bus strike WAM where the die was polished or frosted and there is no proof CLAM where to die was not polished and frosted. They are all stuff made with the wrong hub but prepared the right way.
    Right, good clarification. Thanks, Ed.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

  14. Thanks makecents, GrumpyEd, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, GrumpyEd, VAB2013 liked this post
  15. #9
    Paid Member makecents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    4,466
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    274
    Thank you guys!! Even after being around here for over a year the knowledge on the site still just astounds me!!

  16. Thanks GrumpyEd, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, VAB2013 liked this post
 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •