Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Found a $5.00 foreign coin in a customer roll of pennies from my bank.

As I have posted before, my local bank has agreed to save me all the rolls of pennies that their customers cash in as long as I picked them up every Wednesday morning. I’m getting up to 200 rolls a week. It is much more fun to search customer rolls rather than a brick because you always find unusual coins. Today I found a five dollar coin from Guyana. This has to be one of the strangest finds to date. Just thought I would post it for other roll searchers to see.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, GrumpyEd, VAB2013, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The exchange rate is .0048 US dollars per Guyana dollar so it's worth 2.4 US cents.

4. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, TPring, VAB2013, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool looking coin and neat find!! The wife brought me home 20 customer wrapped rolls Friday and I found my first New Zealand coin. A 2006 10 cent piece.

6. Likes VAB2013, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    The exchange rate is .0048 US dollars per Guyana dollar so it's worth 2.4 US cents.
    Wow!! With that exchange rate, you could take a couple hundos down there and live like a king!!

8. Likes GrumpyEd, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    Thank you for the info. That is a amazing!

10. Likes GrumpyEd, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats for working out a deal with your bank like that retiredcoppper! That is awesome! Hope you find all kinds of interesting foreign coins like this one and some really nice Lincoln's too! How is your wheat count looking on these CWR's? They seem to be dropping in numbers in my bricks lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Congrats for working out a deal with your bank like that retiredcoppper! That is awesome! Hope you find all kinds of interesting foreign coins like this one and some really nice Lincoln's too! How is your wheat count looking on these CWR's? They seem to be dropping in numbers in my bricks lately.
    I've noticed the same thing with bricks here in New Jersey. The CWR's are hit and miss. I just finished 50 rolls and only found 8 wheaties. The previous 50 rolls produced 33. One thing you do find a is a lot of pre 81 copper pennies. Many times the whole roll is copper. I guess people were saving copper pennies for a while and then decided to cash them in. Why they did not save the 1981 pennies is a question. I can see 1982 pennies because they would have to weigh them.
    Last edited by retiredcopper; 08-27-2018 at 09:07 AM. Reason: add additional info

13. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredcopper View Post
    I've noticed the same thing with bricks here in New Jersey. The CWR's are hit and miss. I just finished 50 rolls and only found 8 wheaties. The previous 50 rolls produced 33. One thing you do find a is a lot of pre 81 copper pennies. Many times the whole roll is copper. I guess people were saving copper pennies for a while and then decided to cash them in. Why they did not save the 1981 pennies is a question. I can see 1982 pennies because they would have to weigh them.
    That's good you are finding some wheats in those CWR's, 33 is a decent number for 50 rolls - like you said it's going to fluctuate. That is odd you are not seeing any 81's in those copper rolls, maybe they stopped rolling them up in 1980? Either way you have a sweet deal getting those so enjoy and keep us updated! Yeah... I've been through several bricks lately and not a single wheat cent to be found

15. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a new one to me. Up here in Washington I get loads of Canadians with some other oddities with a cruise line that departs from Seattle.
    Even a fool can look wise if he keeps his mouth closed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice find... I wonder what that would buy in Guyana??? Still worth mot that one cent at the current exchange rate... There are lots of folks here that collect foreign currency especially the varieties!!!

Added - Since this is not a Lincoln cent I moved the thread to the Off Topic Discussion forum!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!