Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1969 D No FG?

Post Thanks / Like
    QUOTE=jfines69;342052]Your 2nd pic on the 88 shows the remnants really good... I do not think it would make a weak FG??? Not sure tho... The best ones would be when there are no abrasions visible!!![/QUOTE]

Yes Jim weak FG; but still vestiges are there. In both cases, the 69 D and the 88 P, I used for the second pic an external light source to the scope illuminating the coin in an angle to make any raised residue stand out easily.
    Both first pics were taken using the scope's own light source coming strait from above, that's why it's very difficult to see the remnats of the FG on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes when posting from my phone strange things happen... I can't see my posts and when I repeat them the original shows up...
    Sorry, I haven't found out why???

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 179
    Quote Originally Posted by Coin5 View Post
    Sometimes when posting from my phone strange things happen... I can't see my posts and when I repeat them the original shows up...
    Sorry, I haven't found out why???
    On this thread it wasn't your phone.
    I posted on page 3 then way later the thread moved to the top and I saw your name as the last poster... but when I opened the thread mine was the last post and it was on page 3 but the thing showed a 4th page but when I clicked it stayed on page 3. Then 5 hours later you repeated your post and after that it let me see page 4 and your post from 5 hours before that didn't show earlier.

Must have been some strange glitch going on?????

4. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 62
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    On this thread it wasn't your phone.
    I posted on page 3 then way later the thread moved to the top and I saw your name as the last poster... but when I opened the thread mine was the last post and it was on page 3 but the thing showed a 4th page but when I clicked it stayed on page 3. Then 5 hours later you repeated your post and after that it let me see page 4 and your post from 5 hours before that didn't show earlier.

Must have been some strange glitch going on?????
    Same for me.
    Wouldn't open page 4 no matter how many times and from which page I tried to access it. Thought it was a full moon or something!

6. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In this 69 D I just found, looks like the FG is completely gone, even using the angled light whatever is there is unidentifiable. However it has a big stain and some corrosion spots right in that area... I cleaned it with acetone and the pics show the result. Not very good though...
    When they are clean, there are still remnants of the FG and vice versa... No luck with them...

Thanks for looking,
    Adrian

Wed Sep 05 17-19-27.jpgWed Sep 05 17-19-54.jpgWed Sep 05 17-21-38.jpgWed Sep 05 17-22-10.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another 69 D in much better shape, where the FG is unidentifiable.
    Thanks

Wed Sep 05 18-44-30.jpgWed Sep 05 18-44-10.jpgWed Sep 05 18-43-08.jpgWed Sep 05 18-43-02.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    Nice find on both of those... I do not see any signs of the FG and neither one looks to be polished... Better pics would help... Also the 1st one has a half floating roof on the east and the 2nd looks to be a full floating roof!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

10. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for letting me know about the floating roofs. I was too busy again with the FGs and did not pay attention to that. BTW, are floating roofs considered of any importance??? Are they collectible??
    Here are 2 more pics of both coins. One with the scope's light and the other with the external angled light trying to maximize whatever is raised there. This is the best I can get with the scope I have. The second coin shows some vestiges of something (maybe the G); but I don't think is identifiable and disqualifying as a no FG; but not sure???
    BTW, from what I have read above in this thread, since my coins are circulated and not in excellent shape, I guess I just can keep them until I find better replacements, right?. In other words, do they have any value?? Should I keep 'em?
    Thanks,
    Adrian

Thu Sep 06 18-07-45.jpgThu Sep 06 18-07-36.jpg

Thu Sep 06 18-02-24.jpgThu Sep 06 18-05-53.jpg
    Last edited by Coin5; 09-06-2018 at 03:21 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    Thanks for the follow up and extra pics... Some people collect the floating roof coins as they do the weak/no FG coins... As for value I would have no idea... I do not buy/sell coins and do not really have a collection... If they were my coins I would hold on to them, at least as a sample, especially the ones with out abrasions... I can not tell if the 2nd coin has remnants of the FG or die dings???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

13. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post