Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

1955 LWC A Lot Going On Here

Additional Information
    Date: 1955

OBV - Looks to be a few die cracks in his head. I’m not sure what’s going on with liberty. The L is on an inclined ridge. The I looks to have doubled. The is a notch NW of the top, but the bottom is pretty undefined. I could not find a match on Variety Vista.

Rev - Left wheat stalk has a die crack, T has a pronounced die crack, and EPU has MD flowing into the rim. Overall a pretty good coin to learn from.

49E257D9-ACF1-49D6-8771-FA1E0B0490E3.jpg 15DB6A01-5B1B-4B66-BCF5-1C6CB22A92E0.jpg 92D7E3C7-11B3-406F-BC2E-482489356D2A.jpg 7317524D-2B70-471D-9D2D-E8533675B745.jpg

2. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everything you have described on this coin is from die deterioration.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

4. Thanks enamel7, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes emodx, enamel7, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those large die cracks are a good sign of an older die (but not always) and thus an indicator of die deterioration when you look closer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty good job... Pics are pretty good... See you are learning... Which part do you think is MD on EPU??? The area between the letters and rim is from die wear... If the rev die was used enough after this coin was struck the letters would eventually appear stretched out and flow into the rim much like the last 5 in the date is doing... The LI is doing the same thing as is IGWT!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

7. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post