Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1969 D no fg

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

1969 D no fg

I am really miffed about this. Under the scope I can see no fg. On the whole reverse shot the fg is visible. On the close up of the area I do not see the fg (maybe I don't want to). I doubt that it is detectable under a 4X that I understand the grading companies go by. So, is this a no fg? This is an MS 65 coin in my op. so the difference is meaningful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes emodx, VAB2013, tokameel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The grading company will not use a high magnification so I would say no.....but at the same time ,we are trying to guess what they will do. I will say that I have an S-VDB that you couldn't see the VDB with plain eyes or a 10x loupe.....but I took a full coin shot of the reverse and it popped right out.....great surprise for me

4. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes willbrooks, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineman750 View Post
    The grading company will not use a high magnification so I would say no.....but at the same time ,we are trying to guess what they will do. I will say that I have an S-VDB that you couldn't see the VDB with plain eyes or a 10x loupe.....but I took a full coin shot of the reverse and it popped right out.....great surprise for me
    I'm reminded of what I learned in my past (and no I don't mean as a car thief LOL) that even though the vin number may be round off the engine of a vehicle, with certain application you can bring it back to be legible. I believe that polishing the device entirely off (to the naked eye) there will always be a different texture in the metal where the device once was and by some means or lighting, etc. the "ghost" will always be there and the device will appear.

6. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Maineman750, VAB2013 liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    George,
    Trying to compare dies. Is that a die crack (spiked head type) on the obverse starting next to the W? Unfortunately, the CPG I have only shows the part of the reverse where the FG is supposed to be. I think the die I have is different than yours, but mine is brown and circulated.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

8. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    George,
    Trying to compare dies. Is that a die crack (spiked head type) on the obverse starting next to the W? Unfortunately, the CPG I have only shows the part of the reverse where the FG is supposed to be. I think the die I have is different than yours, but mine is brown and circulated.
    Yes, there is a crack staring near the top of the W and west of it running into the hair.

Post Thanks / Like
    George....what I forgot to mention is that ANACS was able to discern the VDB as well......when I sent it in I was afraid I might have to tell them my method of seeing it.

11. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's mostly gone but I see the G in your pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    1969D no FG.jpg

It's close, but it would not make the cut at PCGS or NGC. If you look at PCGS examples, you'll see this area completely smooth and devoid of any remnants. I've attached an image showing markers for the main die that PCGS will attribute. ANACS I wouldn't even bother with because there isn't a market for this variety in an ANACS holder.
    “What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.”

14. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Likes willbrooks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the difference in your images may be a product of the lighting.
    The whole coin shot appears to be coming from about 5:00 and creating more shadows. While the closeup is more overhead eliminating the shadows?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yepper, I can see the G also.