Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2018 P "ILI" + Cud

Just found this 2018 P with what I think will qualify as an "ILI" error. There is also a Cud or die chip (not sure how to call it) south of the word LIBERTY (not to big though) which I hope can be used as a die marker. Although I was almost sure these anomalies weren't plating issues, I used as a precautionary measure, the tooth pick to apply pressure on them. They did not changed at all.
    I would like to hear your opinions before submitting it to JC for listing.
    Thanks,
    Adrian

These pics are before applying pressure to the anomalies.

Tue Sep 04 20-44-23.jpgTue Sep 04 20-45-24.jpgTue Sep 04 20-45-44.jpgTue Sep 04 20-56-31.jpgTue Sep 04 20-57-55.jpgTue Sep 04 20-58-27.jpg

After applying pressure to the anomalies:
    Tue Sep 04 21-06-31.jpgTue Sep 04 21-06-39.jpg

2. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't believe so. They look more like plating bubbles instead of chips.

4. Thanks VAB2013, Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking enamel is right. The third photo looks like the edges of the anomalies are rounded and puffy like a blister. There also looks like there are more plating blisters to the left of the date and possibly scattered about on the obverse. What do you think that is next to the date?

6. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by enamel7 View Post
    I don't believe so. They look more like plating bubbles instead of chips.
    IMHO, they aren't plating bubbles. For some reason some die chips in Shields look like these (very similar to plating blisters), as those common ones that appear on top of the Shield's left side (examples on posts #12 and #24 here: http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...7-P-IDBs/page2). The dies break in my opinion, like if they were made of much harder and brittle steel (glass like) with more carbon content. I have observed these types of IDBs occur next to abrupt deep curved incusions in the die like the Shield's top edges and in this case the rim.
    These pics show the results after another round of toothpick's tip extreme pressure on them. They would have pop or at least flattened in some way. It didn't happen.
    Looking closely particularly to the anomaly south of LIBERTY, it looks to me like there are 3 consecutive breaks, consistent with the way a crystalline steel would break.

Although not a Shield Cent the coin in this thread shows the same type of die breaks which were called "die gouges", I guess because of the similarity with a mark left by a Gouge-like Graver in a die; but not sure if that's the reason for that name.
    http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...84-P-Die-Crack

Edit: "with more carbon content". I should have said with "different carbon content", as I'm not sure if it's more or less carbon content.

Thanks,
    Adrian
    Wed Sep 05 05-01-37.jpgWed Sep 05 05-01-54.jpgWed Sep 05 05-02-15.jpg
    Last edited by Coin5; 09-05-2018 at 03:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    I am thinking enamel is right. The third photo looks like the edges of the anomalies are rounded and puffy like a blister. There also looks like there are more plating blisters to the left of the date and possibly scattered about on the obverse. What do you think that is next to the date?
    Vivien, it looks like next to the date there are stains and circulation hits. I looked closer after your remark on that and took this pic, so you can observe better.

Thanks,
    Adrian

Wed Sep 05 05-00-50.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That coin has lots of stains... Best I can tell is those areas look like deep gas bubbles... Sometimes there is contamination deep in the zinc that eventually expands and the only way to tell for sure is time... Eventually the expansion or PSD will cause the plating to split which lets more moisture and air in accelerating the corrosion... Hope that helps a little!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

10. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jim, great help and very interesting remarks as always!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    You are very welcome!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

13. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a follow up, I found this 2017 P with a die crack at the bottom of the bust. While checking for die markers, I found it also has a very similar feature (cud like) south of LIBERTY like the 2018 P coin mentioned above. However, in this case, when applying pressure with the toothpick, the anomaly flattened out enough to confirm it is a plating blister and not a cud or die chip (break).
    I don't know if this is a common die crack for the Shields. It looks to be small and weak though.
    Thanks,
    Adrian
    Complete OBV.jpgComplete REV.jpgLower Bust Die Crack (1).jpgLower Bust Die Crack (2).jpg
    Plating blister before applying Pr (2).jpgPlating blister before applying Pr (3).jpgPlating blister after applying Pr (5).jpgPlating blister after applying Pr (6).jpgPlating blister after applying Pr (7).jpg

15. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coin5 View Post
    As a follow up, I found this 2017 P with a die crack at the bottom of the bust. While checking for die markers, I found it also has a very similar feature (cud like) south of LIBERTY like the 2018 P coin mentioned above. However, in this case, when applying pressure with the toothpick, the anomaly flattened out enough to confirm it is a plating blister and not a cud or die chip (break).
    I don't know if this is a common die crack for the Shields. It looks to be small and weak though.
    Thanks,
    Adrian
    Complete OBV.jpgComplete REV.jpgLower Bust Die Crack (1).jpgLower Bust Die Crack (2).jpg
    Plating blister before applying Pr (2).jpgPlating blister before applying Pr (3).jpgPlating blister after applying Pr (5).jpgPlating blister after applying Pr (6).jpgPlating blister after applying Pr (7).jpg
    I don't know if I've seen a die crack at the base on a shield Adrian but are you sure it's a crack? It looks like PSD to me.

17. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post