Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Being eBay Wary...A guide

Being eBay Wary

By Bob Piazza

Ebay has been around for quite a few years now, and as such has made many people a lot of money. It has also helped many coin collectors fill holes in their sets, or helped them procure coins that they have coveted.

However, as with any large site where dollars are to be made, there are people just as likely to steal your money in a myriad of unscrupulous ways.

This article covers some of the things you should do to ensure that your eBay experiences are pleasant and fruitful.

For the new eBay shopper, the sheer volume of what is being sold is mind boggling. There are thousands of coins being sold at any one time. Here are some things you should do or know before you make a purchase.

1. Know your stuff! Surfing eBay can be fun, but if you go on there looking for coins without knowing what it is you are looking at, it can turn into a less than desirable experience.
    2. Do a logical search. In other words, if you are looking for errors, start in the error section. Sellers who advertise their wares in the correct category, or sub category are more likely to have successful sales than those who don’t take the time to put them in their proper place.
    3. Look carefully at photos. This is a very important step. Most buyers will tell you to make your decision based on a supplied photo. If the picture is tiny or out of focus, do you really want to spend your hard earned money on something you are unable to positively identify?
    4. Correct terminology. This could be a problem if someone is selling coins such as errors or varieties, and yet can not identify the proper terminology for it. For example, if someone says the coin is off center and it is in fact a misaligned die, then there is a difference between the prices for these. Some folks just aren’t into the proper wording because it is not their ‘thing’. Something as simple as proper terminology can tell you that the seller may know what they are doing.
    5. Check out feedback. Although this may seem like common sense, many people don’t take the time to scan a person’s feedback. Do you want to take a chance buying from someone who consistently gets bad reviews? Look at the total number of the feedback and the date they started selling. One or two bad reviews may not be an indicator of the sellers worthiness. There can be extenuating circumstances. You can always contact the seller if this concerns you.

1. Ask questions. If you find an item that interests you, but you aren’t quite sure about some aspect of it, take the time to send the seller a question. A good seller will take the time to address your concerns, especially if it means a possible sale.
    2. Look at the return policy. Honest sellers will normally offer a return policy. There are some acceptable exceptions though. Items that can be opened and swapped out (such as coins in some rolls) are examples where returns are not accepted unless they are in the same condition and containers as they were sent in.
    3. Raw or Graded coins? Strictly a buyer’s decision. Most experts will tell you to buy the coin, and not the plastic. There is a lot to be said for that. Third Party Grading Services (TPGs) make mistakes too. You can not expect the seller to correct a TPG’s error, so be careful. If there is a mistake, the grading service should be contacted. Also…Research the serial number to see if the item being sold matches what is annotated on the TPG site.
    4. Damaged coins. This is a biggie. A lot of coins being sold are damaged or home made examples made to look like the real thing. If in doubt ask questions or avoid it all together.
    5. Scarce or Rare? These terms are used so loosely on auction sites. The reality is that there are books or sites out there that can tell you whether or not it is a true statement. Some sellers are just unaware of the real numbers out there and assume their coin(s) are one of a kind. Once again, it all comes down to knowing your stuff.
    6. Watch shipping and handling scams. Please….before you make a commitment to buy an item, check out the shipping and handling charges. This area has improved a bit over the years, but there are many instances where a deal can be found only to have excessive shipping/handling charges added to the purchase price. Some sellers use this scam to recoup the money they may lose out on in a true auction. Does it really make sense to have someone charge $6 to ship you a 99 cent auction win? Also watch what the cost will be for multiple wins from the same seller. Are they willing to combine shipping charges? Do they state they are charging for priority mail, but yet when you received the item, it was sent Parcel Post? Do keep in mind that some shipping charges include costs for packaging, labels boxes etc. You should know what is acceptable or not.
    7. Report fraud immediately. Another biggie. There are some steps in place to help you recoup your money if the auction ends up being fraudulent. They can not help you out if you don’t report it. They will also pull inaccurate postings that do not conform to the posting rules, so report them also. They are not asking you to be eBay police, but they do have people who work these issues so take advantage of that. Before you report items, make sure you know your stuff before accusing someone.

I could probably go on forever with words of wisdom for buying from auction places like eBay. This avenue can really help you with your collection. This fast paced world is made smaller by the use of the Internet. We can get that much wanted coin to our door in mere days versus ‘the old days’ when written letters, phone calls and a slower Post Office was the norm.

The most important of ALL the tips offered here is to KNOW YOUR STUFF! I can not state that strongly enough! Don’t let someone take your money because you were too lazy to do your homework or to ask someone in the know. Don’t be afraid to ask questions of your collecting friends either. It will make your eBay experience that much more enjoyable.

Bob Piazza
    Last edited by mustbebob; 06-30-2019 at 07:46 AM. Reason: formatting
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic job Bob, thanks!!

3. Likes VAB2013, Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge Bob!! Very helpful!!

5. Likes VAB2013, makecents, Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for writing this article Bob! Your vast knowledge of this hobby helps us in so many ways, and the information in your article is exactly what we need to know when it comes to finding "treasures" and not "trash" on eBay or any other website that involves the selling of coins!

One thing I have thought about lately is this scenario. What made me think about this is that we have several members who find things on eBay for example, and they may decide they do not want the particular cent and they post a thread to let our members know about it. I think that is such a nice gesture! But, what if one of our members finds a cent that they think is the "real deal" but they really don't want to post a link to it on the forum (asking for advice) for the entire WWW to see (in fear of someone snatching it out from under them or causing a bidding war). We may already have knowledgeable members teaming up to help each other privately with these things, but I am curious what you think about it.
    Last edited by VAB2013; 06-30-2019 at 10:41 AM.

7. Thanks RiddleMeThis thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Lunstedt, RiddleMeThis liked this post
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    But, what if one of our members finds a cent that they think is the "real deal" but they really don't want to post a link to it on the forum (asking for advice) for the entire WWW to see (in fear of someone snatching it out from under them or causing a bidding war).
    Good question. In that case, they can simply use the Private Message on the forum and ask someone (maybe a pro, maybe someone they trust). Whatever they decide, it all falls back to knowing their stuff, and the sellers return policy if they buy it and it turns out not to be what they expected. Any time you find something on the auction that may turn out to be the 'REAL DEAL' you take a chance that someone else realizes the same thing and the bidding war ensues. That's why it is called an auction.

I can add to this post and based on some inputs I may do that. I also see where there are some formatting errors that showed up here that are not on the original. I will have to address those also.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

9. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents, Lunstedt, RiddleMeThis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mustbebob View Post
    Good question. In that case, they can simply use the Private Message on the forum and ask someone (maybe a pro, maybe someone they trust). Whatever they decide, it all falls back to knowing their stuff, and the sellers return policy if they buy it and it turns out not to be what they expected. Any time you find something on the auction that may turn out to be the 'REAL DEAL' you take a chance that someone else realizes the same thing and the bidding war ensues. That's why it is called an auction.

I can add to this post and based on some inputs I may do that. I also see where there are some formatting errors that showed up here that are not on the original. I will have to address those also.
    Thank you Bob for answering my question! It is nice to know that we have members here who are knowledgeable and very capable of helping others out when it comes to advice on whether to buy or not! I think Private Messaging in that case would be extremely helpful!

Also... I think the formatting of your article looks great - everything is lined up, numbered correctly and it flows very well (there are no missed words that I see). Did some text get lost in the transfer?
    Last edited by VAB2013; 06-30-2019 at 11:54 AM.

11. Likes makecents, Lunstedt, RiddleMeThis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is extremely valuable advice.
    Thank You very much Bob.

If I may, I would like to add a couple comments.

If you find counterfeit coins or other fraudulent listings on ebay, PM me and I will have some friends look at it. If there is fraud or counterfeits, they can have the listing removed much quicker than a "report item" to ebay.

Ebay will make a seller accept your return if there is an issue with the coin not being what it is described as in a listing.

Do not EVER buy a coin from Etsy, Ali-express or Amazon. There are other sites that do not police listings at all also, stay as far away from them as you can.

If you see a genuine good deal on Ebay buy it now, do not hesitate to buy it. I have missed many coins because i took 10-15 minutes to do research. I use an auto-bidder foe auctions that have a piece I really want. Others do also. If you are serious about Ebay auctions, you really should use an auto-bidder. I like esnipe. I have never lost a coin due to their negligence.

I would be happy to give my opinion in PM and would never bid against someone asking for my help.

Thanks again Bob!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Edthelorax View Post
    This is extremely valuable advice.
    Thank You very much Bob.

If I may, I would like to add a couple comments.

If you find counterfeit coins or other fraudulent listings on ebay, PM me and I will have some friends look at it. If there is fraud or counterfeits, they can have the listing removed much quicker than a "report item" to ebay.

Ebay will make a seller accept your return if there is an issue with the coin not being what it is described as in a listing.

Do not EVER buy a coin from Etsy, Ali-express or Amazon. There are other sites that do not police listings at all also, stay as far away from them as you can.

If you see a genuine good deal on Ebay buy it now, do not hesitate to buy it. I have missed many coins because i took 10-15 minutes to do research. I use an auto-bidder foe auctions that have a piece I really want. Others do also. If you are serious about Ebay auctions, you really should use an auto-bidder. I like esnipe. I have never lost a coin due to their negligence.

I would be happy to give my opinion in PM and would never bid against someone asking for my help.

Thanks again Bob!!
    Thank you Bob. I did not know about auto-bidder.
    Be well, mean well, stay well..

14. Thanks cranky thanked for this post
    Likes cranky, Lunstedt liked this post