Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 P Anomaly.

Post Thanks / Like

Answered: 2006 P Anomaly.

Hi all:

The anomaly is peculiar, as it is a very long and straight thin line all across the reverse of the coin from rim to rim in the northern hemisphere, between the "equator" and the "tropic of cancer". I'm struggling to diagnose what caused this.

Here is the analysis I made., Please correct all the wrongs there maybe.

-It IS NOT feeder fingers scrapes because it's only one isolated, it does not have the right orientation NW-SE expected for that and it is very consistent in shape and thickness which is normally not the case for feeder fingers scrapes. Also there are marks left in the columns which are the deepest parts. That normally does not happen with the feeder fingers scrapes.

-Although it has about the same orientation as the plating bubbles on the reverse as can be seen in the pic, it is too long, too thin, too straight, too regular and too continuous to be a plating blister. Also it goes above the rim and bends partially into the side of the coin. I applied tooth pick pressure at different parts of the anomaly and nor it did pop neither it flattened. I think it IS NOT a plating blister; but with zincs it's very hard to be 100% sure.

-it could be a long die scratch as it is oriented in the same direction as abrasions visible on top of "UNITED. However, it's only one with such length... Die scratch, not likely to be the case (too isolated).

-It is likely a die crack; but been such a straight line with no bends it's very weird. Never seen one so straight.

I'm leaning towards a die crack; but it will be great to hear what do you think it is?

Thanks,
    Adrian

Sat Sep 15 18-09-50.jpgSat Sep 15 18-10-17.jpgSat Sep 15 18-11-32.jpgSat Sep 15 18-14-40.jpgSat Sep 15 18-18-02.jpgSat Sep 15 18-24-47Arrows.jpgSat Sep 15 18-20-40 Arrow.jpgSat Sep 15 18-06-59.jpgSat Sep 15 18-20-55.jpgSat Sep 15 18-08-12.jpg
    Last edited by Coin5; 09-15-2018 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Problem adding pictures

2. "Adrian, that is a very cool anomaly!! I'm not sure what may have caused it but I think it happened to the planchet before it was struck by the die, my opinion anyway. Let's see what the pros say though."

3. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, GrumpyEd, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 94
    Adrian, that is a very cool anomaly!! I'm not sure what may have caused it but I think it happened to the planchet before it was struck by the die, my opinion anyway. Let's see what the pros say though.

5. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 179
    linear plating bubble/disturbance? maybe a streak of oil before it was plated?

7. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    Here's a thread that might shine some light on this subject http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...=straight+line

9. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Viv thanks for the link. In that thread the anomaly is not present on top of the columns, like this one does...
    After more looking, I'm more inclined to think it is "something" related to the plating, despite all the obstacles that theory might have. It is too straight to be a die crack, that doesn't add up...??? I'll just wait a bit to see if others chime in...
    Thanks to all of you.

11. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 179
    The scratch example is very sharp. This one is more rounded, makes me think it's more likely in the plating.

13. Thanks VAB2013, Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Coin5, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 67
    To me it does appear to be a bubble.

15. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    I'm leaning toward the die scratch/gouge theory... Yours is highly similar to the 1997P that Vivien linked us to (Thanks Vivien) however that one does not appear to involve the rim... Does yours continue up the inside inside edge of the rim and the over the rim and down the coins edge??? Also it that section incuse or in relief???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

17. Thanks Coin5, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, I lost track of that coin ... I hope I did not put it back in circulation accidentally. I'll try to come back here when I find it...
    Anyway, the coin from Vivien's link does not have the anomaly on top of the columns... mine does, I think it's because it is related to "something" in the plating. A die gouge I don't think will go that deep, as the columns are way deeper than the field. Same goes for die scratches... As Ed mentioned, the anomaly is rounded also... not consistent with a crack either.
    To be honest I'm not sure it's a plating issue yet because it did not pop and/or flattened with pressure. Now you have added more fuel to the fire...

Thanks to all.
    Adrian

19. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    Quote Originally Posted by Coin5 View Post
    Jim, I lost track of that coin ... I hope I did not put it back in circulation accidentally. I'll try to come back here when I find it...
    Anyway, the coin from Vivien's link does not have the anomaly on top of the columns... mine does, I think it's because it is related to "something" in the plating. A die gouge I don't think will go that deep, as the columns are way deeper than the field. Same goes for die scratches... As Ed mentioned, the anomaly is rounded also... not consistent with a crack either.
    To be honest I'm not sure it's a plating issue yet because it did not pop and/or flattened with pressure. Now you have added more fuel to the fire...

Thanks to all.
    Adrian
    Thanks for the follow up... A die scratch/gouge can go into the deeper recesses of the die... It just does not happen that often... Mike Diamond recently had an article in Coin World magazine about these being on steps of some coins... Also there are some coins that exhibit a plating phenomenon with linear splits in the plating... If memory serves me correctly Joel (Larry) has posted a few of them and I have found a couple my self... I will need to do a little more research to find the info but will come back to this when I do... Your coin may be what the phenomenon looks like prior to splitting??? The area on the edge/rim of the coin may be related to it???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

21. Thanks Coin5, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, VAB2013, makecents liked this post