Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Answered: 1916 Matte Proof found in circulation! (Impaired)

Matches all die diagnostics 100%, has reflective smooth edges, stands on it's side by itself easily, and the toning is undeniable.

This is why the matte proof populations are so low! There are some out there in the wild, which are very hard to verify after 102 years......and this is an example of a circulated specimen!

These pictures don't do that sandblasted look justice!

What would it grade?!?..........PR53?!

S20180915_013.jpgS20180915_005.jpg

2. "Adrian, that is a very cool anomaly!! I'm not sure what may have caused it but I think it happened to the planchet before it was struck by the die, my opinion anyway. Let's see what the pros say though."

3. Likes Petespockets55, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 11
    I would grade it not a proof. First of all in 1916 the dies were enhanced which made the coin stand out with detail. You say it matches all the Diagnostics. There were 2 die pairs used for 1916 Matte Proof production. Which pair do you think you have as the diagnostics are different? Further more the diagnostics on both pairs consist mostly of minor hairline die scratches - something that would be extremely difficult to find on a circulated example. Most folks just look at the rims and because they are somewhat wide think its a proof. But Matte proof rims are very Distinct with very flat with a razor edge towards the inside of the coin.

There are some great books you should own if interested in Matte Proofs. A Study of Matte Proof Lincolns By Carl Waltz can be bought at cwmplbook@aol.com and Lincoln Cent Matte Proofs ​by Kevin Flynn is still available for sale on Ebay and other on line sources.

5. Thanks jfines69, TPring, Petespockets55, Maineman750 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69, Petespockets55, Coin5 liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

7. Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 11
    Looking at your pics- absolutely not a proof. Here is one on Ebay, that many would think is a proof because of the matte like finish, etc. But, its not a proof either. It does illustrate just how sharp the dies were for 1916.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1916-Lincol...sAAOSwbKRbLbAA

And here are several 1916 Matte proofs for comparison.

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/3324

9. Thanks jfines69, Maineman750 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69, TPring, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    Those are some awesome proofs WS... A big difference in the appearance between the proof and non-proof... I would have to agree with your assessment of the coin in this thread... Still cool it was found in circ!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

11. Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 179
    The deal is that most 1916 cents look pretty nice, bold, nice rims, great hair detail.

This one is a regular bus strike, grade is way way lower than 53 because it has lots of wear but a 53 would have almost no wear.

The matte proof pops are low because they hardly made any, it's not like there were tons of them circulated and only a few found. They only made 1050 total and they were sold as proofs, if a few got spent it would be a needle in a giant haystack to find now.

13. Thanks jfines69, cherrypickerrrrr thanked for this post
    Likes TPring, Coin5, jfines69, cherrypickerrrrr liked this post