Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Thread: 2006 P Anomaly.

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Answered: 2006 P Anomaly.

Hi all:

The anomaly is peculiar, as it is a very long and straight thin line all across the reverse of the coin from rim to rim in the northern hemisphere, between the "equator" and the "tropic of cancer". I'm struggling to diagnose what caused this.

Here is the analysis I made., Please correct all the wrongs there maybe.

-It IS NOT feeder fingers scrapes because it's only one isolated, it does not have the right orientation NW-SE expected for that and it is very consistent in shape and thickness which is normally not the case for feeder fingers scrapes. Also there are marks left in the columns which are the deepest parts. That normally does not happen with the feeder fingers scrapes.

-Although it has about the same orientation as the plating bubbles on the reverse as can be seen in the pic, it is too long, too thin, too straight, too regular and too continuous to be a plating blister. Also it goes above the rim and bends partially into the side of the coin. I applied tooth pick pressure at different parts of the anomaly and nor it did pop neither it flattened. I think it IS NOT a plating blister; but with zincs it's very hard to be 100% sure.

-it could be a long die scratch as it is oriented in the same direction as abrasions visible on top of "UNITED. However, it's only one with such length... Die scratch, not likely to be the case (too isolated).

-It is likely a die crack; but been such a straight line with no bends it's very weird. Never seen one so straight.

I'm leaning towards a die crack; but it will be great to hear what do you think it is?

Thanks,
    Adrian

Sat Sep 15 18-09-50.jpgSat Sep 15 18-10-17.jpgSat Sep 15 18-11-32.jpgSat Sep 15 18-14-40.jpgSat Sep 15 18-18-02.jpgSat Sep 15 18-24-47Arrows.jpgSat Sep 15 18-20-40 Arrow.jpgSat Sep 15 18-06-59.jpgSat Sep 15 18-20-55.jpgSat Sep 15 18-08-12.jpg
    Last edited by Coin5; 09-15-2018 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Problem adding pictures

2. "Adrian, that is a very cool anomaly!! I'm not sure what may have caused it but I think it happened to the planchet before it was struck by the die, my opinion anyway. Let's see what the pros say though."

3. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, GrumpyEd, VAB2013 liked this post