Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Opinions on this PCGS VF30 1909S-VDB

Does this look right or am I just worrying too much. The images are bad, but the coin looks way better than VF30 to me. Unless it's just the images, I swear I see luster remaining. Also, don't know all the different generation holders, but this one just looks plain and sloppy to me.

I would love to make an offer on this one but I need reassurance. No returns, 100% positive feedback but none as buyer, and my other concerns make me skeptical. The cert does match however. What does the group say?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1909-S-VDB-PC...-/332807370458

2. Likes GrumpyEd, TPring, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    From the pics it looks too strange for me. It has weird color like a cleaned an retoned coin or something regardless of what the holder says. Either the pics are changing it a lot or it's a strange looking coin or a mechanical error (slab label should say something else which does happen, you can even get coins graded and have the labels on the wrong coin and warranty does not cover that stuff).

Look at what other PCGS VF30s look like:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332796008357

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263909670359

4. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The other issue is unless they changed the rules, I thought they need to show the full holder on graded coins other than moderns.

From the pics it looks like the common blue label but seems the seller avoided showing the full holder with the cert number.

6. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    The other issue is unless they changed the rules, I thought they need to show the full holder on graded coins other than moderns.

From the pics it looks like the common blue label but seems the seller avoided showing the full holder with the cert number.

Sorry Ed. I meant to quote you so you would see the last post for sure. Thanks for all your help with this endeavor of mine.

8. Thanks GrumpyEd thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    He changed the pics Ed. I asked for clear images of the entire slab, but that is what he put up. I saved the of the original images. The slab has a white label. The color looks wrong, but the detail looks XF at least. It just looks wrong to me. I'll pass. Here is the slab pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Thanks GrumpyEd thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Based on the seller's other items, no return policy, his awful pics and the fact he has no feedback as a seller -- I would run the other way unless you are a gambler with $700 burning a hole in your pocket.

Just MHO.

12. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    None of his pics are good but it looks like a common blue label, they do fade to be light.

Still. the coin looks strange, the pale metallic looking color. I'd try for a nice normal looking brown.

14. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like he just bought it at $605 [including shipping] on August 9th with similarly bad pics from that seller.

That seller
    had a rating of 1 with 67% positive feedback.

70,000 pennies for 1 penny.
    Last edited by TPring; 09-15-2018 at 09:27 PM.

16. Thanks GrumpyEd, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TPring View Post
    Looks like he just bought it at $605 [including shipping] on August 9th with similarly bad picks from that seller. That seller had a rating of 1 with 67% positive feedback.
    Which also tells you it's probably not a good coin because it sold for $150-175 less than the going price.
    Assuming it's not in a fake holder (with a copied cert number)... Like I said there are mechanical errors that can be a a simple goof or swapped label within a submission (you might even use look up and see all of the close numbers) but that might not show like if a coin was a gennie it may be numbered different. I've seen where screwed up label coins get bought and re-sold like a hot potato. Reason being that it looks like a bargain on paper but buyers see an issue and want to pass that problem to the next buyer. You might say "why does nobody just return it to the TPG?" the reason is, warranty will cover it if it's off by a grade but if they say it's a mechanical error on the label they only fix the label not refund you the lost value. So nobody wants that risk so they sell the hot potato. The warranty is vague in that way, they say something like mechanical label errors are obvious so it's not covered, but I say obvious would be a wrong date/mintmark/denomination but to me a gennie cleaned coin that should be a gennie isn't obvious to everyone (even though TPring and I both see something is off) and that is why we use TPGs. I feel only wrong date/mintmark/denomination are truly obvious and they should cover everything else because if they do not those coins get sold-resold and it ruins their credibility.

Bottom line, pass on that coin because something looks off.

18. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Maineman750, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I checked the link to ebay in jays original post it came up as page missing... Maybe the seller got slammed???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

20. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post