Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Answered: 2017 P Very Weird!!!!

I just found this 2017 P with what looks like a massive PSD on top of America; but I have some doubts it is PSD because:

- The "hit" is massive, so I would expect to see at least some zinc exposed on the surface of the anomaly, similar to when rolling machines damage the coin severely one can see the zinc exposed. There is no zinc exposed at all.

- The surface of the anomaly is brilliant like the rest of the coin.

- The plating is way thinner than the depth of the anomaly, so some zinc must be exposed. There is no zinc exposed at all.

-On the obverse, that area corresponds to the ESE of the date. For such a massive hit, I would expect to see some damage there as the coin should have been resting somewhere when it received the "hit" on the reverse, therefore the obverse rim should have "something" There is not much I can consider caused by the supposed to be "hit" on the other side???
    - There is no zinc exposure on the edge of the coin either. I would expect some zinc showing off there too.

Maybe something got in the way during the strike??? Maybe it is PSD??? I don't know???

Can you tell what is that?

Thanks,
    Adrian

Tue Sep 11 22-37-30.jpgTue Sep 11 22-38-06.jpgTue Sep 11 22-39-21.jpgTue Sep 11 22-39-41.jpgTue Sep 11 22-40-58.jpgWed Sep 12 07-51-30.jpgWed Sep 12 07-52-21.jpg
    Last edited by Coin5; 09-12-2018 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Complete Obv and Rev pics added

2. "Cool looking coin Adrian!! I would say that you are correct on the grease filled die. I've noticed people pointing out that when you have issues in the same general area on the perimeter, that it may have been from a coin machine like a gumball machine that would wear in the same area."

3. Thanks VAB2013, GrumpyEd, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, GrumpyEd, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    Well Adrian... that is weird. Does the rim look sunken in all the way around the coin, or just where the anomaly is?

5. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 179
    Struck through some grease spooge????

7. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, thanks to both Viv and Ed.
    I added complete obv and rev pics for better analysis...
    Sorry Ed, the struck through spooge grease is difficult to be the case, because there are parallel streaks in the anomaly, which must have been in the object that got in the way, if struck through was the cause. Difficult for grease to get so well geometrically aligned giving it the streaks' look... Also, there is excess metal flowing beyond the edge suggesting a very hard object??? and the rim is thinner there. It looks like PSD, it's just missing the zinc exposure, the shavings and sharp ridges it normally creates. There is shearing off action involved too, as if the object had slid during the "hit" or it had those marks on it. It could have been a "hit" by a more blunt object that compressed the area; but the problem with that is the lack of marks on the same area on the obverse from the resting surface, which should have acted like an "anvil" and the hitting object the "hammer"... I'm leaning towards PSD; but not sure???
    Thanks again,
    Adrian

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    It does look like a struck thru as Ed pointed but I do not think it would be grease??? It may be a partial out of collar strike??? Some info from Error Ref. http://www.error-ref.com/?s=out+of+collar+strike Are your obv and rev pics of the same coin??? The rev looks out of round to the NE while the obv looks normal to the SE??? Is the coins edge concave all the way around or just in the area of the anomaly???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    It does look like a struck thru as Ed pointed but I do not think it would be grease??? It may be a partial out of collar strike??? Some info from Error Ref. http://www.error-ref.com/?s=out+of+collar+strike Are your obv and rev pics of the same coin??? The rev looks out of round to the NE while the obv looks normal to the SE??? Is the coins edge concave all the way around or just in the area of the anomaly???
    Yes Jim, both pics are of the same coin. The out of round to the NE on the rev pic is due to the anomaly. The pic of the edge shows how the metal flowed or was displaced over the edge in that area only on the rev, giving the rev the out of round appearance. The obv is normal, no metal over the edge, which is what baffles me... For such a "hit", I would expect "something" in the obv also...
    Thanks for the link, I'll check it right now.
    Thanks for your detailed observations and productive remarks.
    Adrian

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 179
    Still unsure but it looks like it was in collar so if it's out of round or has metal displaced beyond the rim then it makes it likely that it was post strike damage maybe when it was ejected and somehow it did not rip through the plating.

12. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    Still unsure but it looks like it was in collar so if it's out of round or has metal displaced beyond the rim then it makes it likely that it was post strike damage maybe when it was ejected and somehow it did not rip through the plating.
    I'm not sure either, but I think that's the case Ed. Some kind of PSD which did not exposed the zinc and did not damage the obverse. I'll keep it as a weird PSD and move on... I think it's unique to this coin and there should not be others.
    Thank you so much Ed and all others.

14. Thanks GrumpyEd thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a follow up here, coincidentally I just found this 2002 D with almost the same anomaly; but in this case there is no doubt it's PSD. There is no damage in the corresponding part on the obverse (ESE of the date); but there is zinc exposed where the hit took place on the reverse, which is s clear indication of PSD in this case. I'm still leaning towards PSD with the original coin in this thread (2017 P)...; but this one is curiously similar to that one...
    Thanks
    Fri Sep 14 16-32-11.jpgFri Sep 14 16-33-26.jpgFri Sep 14 16-33-54.jpgFri Sep 14 16-34-54.jpg
    Last edited by Coin5; 09-14-2018 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Added pictures

16. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 279
    I'm with PSD as well.....zinc isn't always get exposed

18. Thanks Coin5, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, VAB2013 liked this post