Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Forum Ambassador VAB2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cullman, AL
    Posts
    8,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Where the crack connects to the rim at the east end- there is a difference between the east side of the crack and the west side at the rim - the east side sticks out farther, into the field than, the west side...
    The chip I was referring to on your coin is the one in the discolored area... Your chip looks like florida and just off its west end along the lip (top ridge) of the jacket there appears to be a crack going west???

    If you want I can download your pics and put some pointers on them... That may help a little better???
    Oh okay, the thing in the discolored area! It does look like Florida LOL! I can't really tell for sure about that because of the stain. To me the "Florida thing" looks like it doesn't connect to that die crack heading west from the top of it along the jacket lip (edge). But below Florida next to the rim does look like a die chip. Let me soak this one for a little longer and see if that area clears up any. Thank you so much Jim!

  2. #12
    Moderator jfines69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    21,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    1366
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Oh okay, the thing in the discolored area! It does look like Florida LOL! I can't really tell for sure about that because of the stain. To me the "Florida thing" looks like it doesn't connect to that die crack heading west from the top of it along the jacket lip (edge). But below Florida next to the rim does look like a die chip. Let me soak this one for a little longer and see if that area clears up any. Thank you so much Jim!
    You may not be able to get that cleared up any more than it is... That looks like it could damage to the copper plate??? I think the only way so show any more detail would be light angle and intensity??? Do you see the shift I am talking about on the east end of the pre cud/pre retained cud at the rim???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

  3. #13
    Forum Ambassador VAB2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cullman, AL
    Posts
    8,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    You may not be able to get that cleared up any more than it is... That looks like it could damage to the copper plate??? I think the only way so show any more detail would be light angle and intensity??? Do you see the shift I am talking about on the east end of the pre cud/pre retained cud at the rim???
    Just tossed it in some acetone before coffee this am fixing to take a look to see if that stain area cleared up any, and the shift on the east end. I will report back - thank you Jim!!!

  4. #14
    Forum Ambassador VAB2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cullman, AL
    Posts
    8,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    560
    Jim, the acetone did help some! Here's what I was able to get at the highest magnification possible and a lot of light. Still, I cannot see the separation at the east end. Do you need better pics or can you point it out to me with these? Thank you Sir!!!

  5. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
  6. #15
    Moderator jfines69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    21,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    1366
    Actually those pics are excellent... The chip in the stain area is part of the crack that goes across the jackets lip... On the close up of the pre cuds east end chip the shift I see on the zoomed out pic is not as pronounced so I do not think it would constitute a retained cud... Thanks Vivien!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

  7. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
  8. #16
    Forum Ambassador VAB2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cullman, AL
    Posts
    8,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    560
    Thank you Jim for looking and helping! We were having so much fun with the pre-cud that I forgot all about this one being a spike! I'll email it to JC

  9. #17
    Moderator jfines69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    21,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    1366
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Thank you Jim for looking and helping! We were having so much fun with the pre-cud that I forgot all about this one being a spike! I'll email it to JC
    You are welcome... Let us know the info when JC gets back to you!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

  10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
  11. #18
    Forum Ambassador VAB2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cullman, AL
    Posts
    8,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    You are welcome... Let us know the info when JC gets back to you!!!
    Will do Jim! Thank you for reminding me... I need to re-shoot the out of focus full Obv/Rev before I email them to JC!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •