Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

1927 DDO with issues

At least the Obv looks OK, the rev has a big corrosion spot. But it would do as a study example or until a better one comes along.
    WS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNCIRCULATE...IAAOSwUQ5brdEf

2. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice catch on that 001!! I like how they call it uncirculated. Could end up being a good buy though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice catch is right.
    Curious what you saw in this on that first got your attention. Shadows are hiding a lot of the easy to spot doubling.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to sound as if I am crazy – but this is real. It’s called “Search Imagining”. Search imaging is what all of you are doing, only most of you do not know it. It’s a scientifically proven human condition of which your brain recognizes patterns that put you on alert.

So, let’s say you either love or hate snakes. You know what snakes look like and if you really really like them you know some by the patterns or markings that stand out stronger than the grass they are hiding in and thus you see them when others don’t.

After studying enough cent specimens in hand, pictures found on the internet, books looked at with die characteristics, you begin to subconsciously store this information to the point that search imaging occurs.

So, in the case of this 1927 cent (with a less than stellar photo) it was the sum of the parts that made me look twice. You cannot see any doubling but the wide bar on the top of the 7 leads me to the 2 which starts being narrow on the left and gets wider as you go right. The next jump is to the T in trust. It must also be wide. Now I am going to look harder. First thing, is the bottom the of O in God complete? because if the bottom is not, I am done and will move on. But now I pull up a VV image for comparison and see the doubling locations. Now I blow up the pictures and see what I can see and make a confirmation it’s a DDO.

Others may have focused on the B in liberty or the curved top of the 1, etc. It’s what you focused on during your searches that was easy to spot and understand that helps someone with developing a search imagine.

When roll searching, it helps to just sort the dates and then look at the dates one right after the other. That’s when the anomalies jump out. Those who have been searching for a long time probably skip the presort because your “Search Imaging” is good enough to raise awareness. My suggestion is when doing eBay searches, just filter and call up a single date. Try pulling up 1997 and focus on the ear on ever coin. Or call up 1934 D and just look at the D and sooner than later the imagine is burned in your brain. Eventually the double ear will really stand out when spotted or the weird looking D will make you stop and study it.

This is why we all find stuff that somebody else will admit they looked at the coin and past over it. It would be fascinating for several of us here to crowd around a computer one night collectively doing searches and sharing our techniques. We would all be amazed at the level and depth of search imaging we all have to one degree or another.

WS
    Last edited by WaterSport; 10-02-2018 at 06:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterSport View Post
    I hate to sound as if I am crazy – but this is real. It’s called “Search Imagining”. Search imaging is what all of you are doing, only most of you do not know it. It’s a scientifically proven human condition of which your brain recognizes patterns that put you on alert.

So, let’s say you either love or hate snakes. You know what snakes look like and if you really really like them you know some by the patterns or markings that stand out stronger than the grass they are hiding in and thus you see them when others don’t.

After studying enough cent specimens in hand, pictures found on the internet, books looked at with die characteristics, you begin to subconsciously store this information to the point that search imaging occurs.

So, in the case of this 1927 cent (with a less than stellar photo) it was the some of the parts that made me look twice. You cannot see any doubling but the wide bar on the top of the 7 leads me to the 2 which starts being narrow on the left and gets wider as you go right. The next jump is to the T in trust. It must also be wide. Now I am going to look harder. First thing, is the bottom the of O in God complete? because if the bottom is not, I am done and will move on. But now I pull up a VV image for comparison and see the doubling locations. Now I blow up the pictures and see what I can see and make a confirmation it’s a DDO.

Others may have focused on the B in liberty or the curved top of the 1, etc. It’s what you focused on during your searches that was easy to spot and understand that helps someone with developing a search imagine.

When roll searching, it helps to just sort the dates and then look at the dates one right after the other. That’s when the anomalies jump out. Those who have been searching for a long time probably skip the presort because your “Search Imaging” is good enough to raise awareness. My suggestion is when doing eBay searches, just filter and call up a single date. Try pulling up 1997 and focus on the ear on ever coin. Or call up 1934 D and just look at the D and sooner than later the imagine is burned in your brain. Eventually the double ear will really stand out when spotted or the weird looking D will make you stop and study it.

This is why we all find stuff that somebody else will admit they looked at the coin and past over it. It would be fascinating for several of us here to crowd around a computer one night collectively doing searches and sharing our techniques. We would all be amazed at the level and depth of search imaging we all have to one degree or another.

WS
    Very cool info that explains a lot, thanks!! I went into this knowing it was a DDO but the 7 was the very first thing I noticed and it was immediately.

7. Thanks WaterSport thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And the 7 is what probably a majority of folks focus on at first. When the obvious characteristics and markers are not easy to see thats when the search imagining kicks in. New collectors have the hardest time picking because their search imagine memory is simply not loaded up yet.

WS

9. Thanks makecents, VAB2013, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is so true Bob, thank you for the explanation! I remember being brand new, getting frustrated not finding many DD's... Maineman and Will were the two main ones that told me to just go look at a few thousand more Lincolns! That was the best advice! They were just trying to help me "load my search image memory"! You are also right about sorting your coins to search by date! I did that for the first couple of years and it helps tremendously! Now... I only compare dates if I'm stuck on a difficult one

I think without this foundation in the beginning, people will struggle more trying to find stuff!

11. Thanks WaterSport thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great explanation there!

On the coin, I like the seller. What bugs me about the coin is that reverse spot because it looks like that wheat stalk gets thin where the spot was. It makes me think it was a pretty nasty spot but it was treated and mostly gone but still I think the corrosion had already eaten up some metal there. Other than that still a nice coin, that variety drives me nuts on circ examples, it is hard to see with some wear.

13. Thanks WaterSport thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely a great explanation. I never put terminology to what you described WS, but "search imaging" makes fits very well.
    That is exactly what I do with Class 6 DDR's. Look for thickness on EPU, the dots or wheats.

When I saw the wide bar on the 7 of the date, I also noticed the hit and pushed metal on the 9 and 2. That is as far as I would have gone if you hadn't pointed out the DDO already.

Thanks for sharing and describing your methodology for seeing them.

15. Thanks WaterSport thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice coin... Cool explanation... That's why some folks can pick coins and others can only pick noses
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

17. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post