Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gee Checking this site each evening is like going to night school ! I love the education we all get here!!

WS

2. Thanks VAB2013, makecents, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterSport View Post
    Gee Checking this site each evening is like going to night school ! I love the education we all get here!!

WS
    I agree!! Lots of knowledge from all directions, just need to pay attention. My small brain is cramping though, gonna have to start taking notes!

4. Thanks Petespockets55, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    You're welcome Jon! We all need to keep studying, no matter how long we've been doing this! Otherwise, our mind and searches start getting stale
    I agree!! It's easy to get in a rut and just do the same old thing. I think that is why I don't like separating my dates and mints when searching, it keeps me on my toes!! I know there are advantage to doing so but it's to hum drum for me!

6. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    I agree!! It's easy to get in a rut and just do the same old thing. I think that is why I don't like separating my dates and mints when searching, it keeps me on my toes!! I know there are advantage to doing so but it's to hum drum for me!
    Well, Jon... since you were already familiar with the aspects of coins from collecting Morgans, you got a head start with Lincolns! Still... on the tough ones and if you think you have a discovery piece... it's always a good idea to have several of the same date and mint mark in AU or better and preferably MDS or better to compare to. That's where your Ed System Lincolns will really come in handy!
    Last edited by VAB2013; 10-10-2018 at 10:15 AM.

8. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    I'm reluctant to disagree with people cause they probably have more experience, but I do see it. I have to assume that people who have examined far more coins than I are correct so I'll save the coin and take it out again when my eye are better at knowing what I'm looking at and usually after more experience I'll see that they were correct. That being said, I see what you are talking about on the "IN GOD". Although "extra thickness" doesn't create notches, if the die in question has something, than the coins struck with the die will have it as well. The "N" of "IN" on 002 does appear to have a notch on the lower right, and so does your example. The lower left of GOD looks extra fat as does your example. And I see it on "LIBERTY"; the "E" looks right to me and it has some pretty strange characteristics to the top bar. So the 2pac side looks fat but the Biggie Smalls side kinda falls off on thickness, making me think you just had to move the light around cause I can kinda see how with perhaps some different lighting I could see it on the TRUST. The date I must admit doesn't look like 002 to me, mostly due to the thinness of the "1" of date. I would hold onto it and save up lots of 1973-P. Then in a few months take another look. Also, I compared with coppercoins.com which is awesome but sometimes Wexler will have varieties for a date that even coppercoins doesn't have listed. Maybe check his site doubleddie.com. They will usually have different die markers as well. Or have die markers for different die states as they usually examined and photographed different examples of the variety. coppercoins may have examined only an early die state and have markers for that, and John Wexlers site may have late die state photos and examples so its good to check as many sites as you can. Not trying to get your hopes up and I know 1973 does look fat anyway. Look up the classes of doubled die and just write it down and tape it to the wall next to where you coin search; that's what I did. Then when you are looking up varieties and it says what class it is, you can look at your cheat sheet. You won't need to after a few times but I keep mine up there anyway. The classes explain everything about a second and sometimes even third hubbing a die may have received to produce these varieties. Also explains why we don't find the same kind of DDs after certain dates because of changes to the process. Nobody is ever going to think you're dumb for not knowing something cause we are all here to learn and maybe share what we know. If my replies seem long, its not cause I think you need lots of help, it's just cause I love to write about this topic. GREAT IMAGES by the way!
    You missed a few sites to check... Variety Vista (VV) http://varietyvista.com/ They list most if not all the CONECA files coins... VV also lists more die Stages than the others which helps tremendously with the long lived dies... There is also Brians Varieties https://www2.briansvarietycoins.com/ and Ken Potters' http://koinpro.tripod.com/
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

10. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post