Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some help understanding the grading process

Sorry to admit this but grading is an area that even though I have studied it... I still don't understand a lot of it.

My level of understanding really consists of the terminology... it's a pretty Lincoln, it's pretty rough, and it's real rough looking

I got even more frustrated with my lack of knowledge while gathering up Lincoln's for the "Ed System" and now it's to the point where I need to start understanding this. I'm hoping that Ed will chime in and help!

For instance... I really don't understand the criteria for AU - About Uncirculated

then I guess leveling up from least desirable to most desirable it would be AU - BU - MS

The "Grading Guide" says that TPG's give copper cents a color designation. So does that mean that zinc's are not given a color designation?

I know I have too many questions, I just think that I have used the term MS inappropriately when it's probably an AU or BU and I want to start understanding the differences

Thank you for your patience reading this and your comments!

2. Thanks makecents, Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Coin5, mindtab liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Viv, Red is used for Zinc cents as well. You may be familiar with the PCGS web site. It lists Brown, Red/Brown and red for copper as well as zincs.
    PCGS LINK .

I've always considered MS and BU as uncirculated. (Mint State and Bright Uncirculated)
    Mint State can be brown, Red/Brown or full red. I've always used Bright Uncirculated only for full red coins.

With AU coins you can usually see some wear on the high points of the coin, which can actually look dull at those areas. I try to look at the tops of the letters and date for sins of wear on AU coins

As far as coming up with a numerical grade the grading companies have trouble being consistent. It is supposed to be determined by the number of nicks and scratches on a coin.
    We've all come across graded coins that leave us scratching our heads.

4. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, mindtab liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    AU - BU - MS

Not really, AU is like almost an unc. BU is sort of an outdated term meaning a nice "brilliant unc" then they said better ones were "choice BU" but after TPG grading those terms aren't really useful.

The reason I say not really is BU and MS, your order is off. BU means a brilliant unc. MS only means it is in the MS grades MS60 to MS70 so an MS60 can be a pretty ugly but still unc but a BU should be pretty nice but like I said... the general terms unc, choice unc, BU choice BU are pretty much the old terminology replaced by the grading with numbers where it starts with low numbers like 3 is like AG, then 70 is perfect and the 50s are AU, the 60s-70 are MS.

6. Thanks VAB2013, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Petespockets55, mindtab liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Viv, Red is used for Zinc cents as well. You may be familiar with the PCGS web site. It lists Brown, Red/Brown and red for copper as well as zincs.
    PCGS LINK .

I've always considered MS and BU as uncirculated. (Mint State and Bright Uncirculated)
    Mint State can be brown, Red/Brown or full red. I've always used Bright Uncirculated only for full red coins.

With AU coins you can usually see some wear on the high points of the coin, which can actually look dull at those areas. I try to look at the tops of the letters and date for sins of wear on AU coins

As far as coming up with a numerical grade the grading companies have trouble being consistent. It is supposed to be determined by the number of nicks and scratches on a coin.
    We've all come across graded coins that leave us scratching our heads.
    Thank you Cliff! I'm reading and trying to absorb! I'm getting what AU means now... still a little confused about BU and MS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    Not really, AU is like almost an unc. BU is sort of an outdated term meaning a nice "brilliant unc" then they said better ones were "choice BU" but after TPG grading those terms aren't really useful.

The reason I say not really is BU and MS, your order is off. BU means a brilliant unc. MS only means it is in the MS grades MS60 to MS70 so an MS60 can be a pretty ugly but still unc but a BU should be pretty nice but like I said... the general terms unc, choice unc, BU choice BU are pretty much the old terminology replaced by the grading with numbers where it starts with low numbers like 3 is like AG, then 70 is perfect and the 50s are AU, the 60s-70 are MS.
    Thank you Ed! So BU is out of the equation. That leaves AG with numbers up to 49, then the 50's are AU and 60-70's are MS... How can a MS60 be ugly?

9. Thanks GrumpyEd thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How can a MS60 be ugly?
    Easily, it's sort of a trashed unc, it has no wear but it has enough wrong to reduce the grade a lot, like a 63 is a typical unc from a roll so a 60 is a dog but still has no real wear.

So.... you see how PCGS has that certain set called everymans or something... it's like the best coins below unc grades.
    Because of that people fight over those AU 58s to get the perfect set.

In reality it makes sense, a 58 is the best circ coin you can get, like spotless evenly toned brown cent with the slightest wear. A nice coin.

A 60 might be in the unc grades but it's the worst coin with no wear, it might have ugly toning, some ugly spots but still no wear.

Wouldn't you rater have the best circ with no issues than the worst dog of the unc grades?
    So, the 60 might not be as nice as the 58, the 60 has no wear but it's a dog, the 58 has tiny wear, rub on the ear but it's really the top quality circ grade.

11. Thanks Petespockets55, VAB2013, mindtab thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Ed! This is great information and now I'm beginning to get it! So, would you recommend I look more at TPG's graded slabs to get used to seeing the difference, or is there something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes looking at slabs will help but be aware that the dates matter. Certain things don't really get graded by the same rules. Like 22P cents you can't go by the wheat lines, like 32-D and 32-S quarters often grade (IMHO) high for how they look but other quarters seem to grade lower than they look. Look at enough stuff and you get a feel for it.

14. Thanks Petespockets55, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wish I could help... All I can do is guess!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

16. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Viv - when you asked about Zincs - I was thinking as in 1943 ??? If thats what you were thinking - they are only graded as a straight MS, AU, etc. No Color designations.

As far as understanding grading - ITS NOT EASY!!! To complicate matters now, TPG's are grading more lack now than 10 years ago. But the basics are the same. Before you can understand the Difference between MS 64 and MS 63, may I suggest you conquer the difference in the 3 AU grades and MS. After that, the scale in my opinion is easier to get. But always remember, this is not an exact science, its subjective. Posting phots is not going to make it easier either as the coin in a graders hand influences the grade. So focus on the AU's and the rest will come easier. Also the hardest Lincolns to grade - 1922 and then just about any 1920's cent.

WS

18. Thanks VAB2013, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, jfines69, mindtab liked this post