Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Unanswered: 1972 D D Reverse is this proper criteria?

Is this the proper points of interest I been out of the country for awhile and all my lincoln cent books are still in storage and my mind isn't quite wrapped around this again, yet. So thank you all in advance,if or when or whether or not you give an answer or not.Thanks mike H

Is this the 1972 double die reverse? if so there were like #17 varieties before I left I read some place there's #18 now? And is that true too? Once again ty for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 391
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1911-A1 View Post
    Is this the proper points of interest I been out of the country for awhile and all my lincoln cent books are still in storage and my mind isn't quite wrapped around this again, yet. So thank you all in advance,if or when or whether or not you give an answer or not.Thanks mike H

Is this the 1972 double die reverse? if so there were like #17 varieties before I left I read some place there's #18 now? And is that true too? Once again ty for looking!
    I am not aware of any 1972 reverse doubled dies, so you'll have to provide some information about where you found this information about 17 of them . On your coin, there is a mix of damage, machine doubling, and die wear. I see no evidence whatsoever of a doubled die anywhere. One of your picture shows LIBERTY, which is not even on the reverse, but that too is damage or MD or both. Impossible to be sure with all of the damage.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

4. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 94
    Besides everything that Will told you, I think some of what you are seeing is from the lighting on a shiny coin.

6. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 67
    I'm thinking he meant obverse.

8. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    Hello Mike! Nice to see you back! Okay.. you are correct, there are 18 1972P DDO's listed on Coppercoins site. Let's see if this link here will show all of them to you https://coppercoins.com/diesearch.ph...smint=p&page=0

Added: Now... let me look at what you have going on with your coin! Back in a few!

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    Mike the first thing I would like to say is - Thank you very much for your time of service to our great country while serving in the U.S. Marine Corps!

Now to your 1972P... Since there are not any known 1972P reverse doubled dies, I just focused on the obverse. The B of Liberty appears to be machine doubling (MD) and I agree with the guys here, I'm not seeing any doubling on the obverse. And... what I see from your reverse photos, that is MD as well.

Taking photos of these shiny Lincolns is a chore that many of us struggle with all of the time. Since you have the coin in hand, please compare it to the doubled dies listed and see what you think. Sometimes the small details are just hard to capture in pics!

11. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    Welcome back Mike... I'm with the others!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!