Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Answered: 1972S machine doubling???

20181008_152645.jpg20181008_144902.jpg20181008_145433.jpg20181008_144642.jpg20181008_144601.jpg
    Is this machine doubling or a lighting problem... What direction is the best to have yr light coming from?

2. "There is no set direction for the light to come from. Each coin will be different.
    I make note when looking at a coin through a loupe for the best direction and try to match that when imaging it.
    "

3. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 62
    There is no set direction for the light to come from. Each coin will be different.
    I make note when looking at a coin through a loupe for the best direction and try to match that when imaging it.

5. Thanks Dearing, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing, makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 400
    If you have a single light point, you can simply turn the coin. I understand your set-up has limitations, so just keep playing with it. As far as determining things like lighting problems versus actual doubling, I am afraid it is easier for you to tell than for us.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

7. Thanks Dearing, VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing, VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    We understand how frustrating it is to take photos that accurately show what we see with the coin in hand. Once you get your new lens you can experiment with different lighting but the photo needs to be taken straight on (not at an angle) for most things. Different angles are sometimes helpful to see the splits in RPM's. Many of us on the forum have to take a whole bunch of pics just to get one good one to post on the forum!

Another thing that will help, compare your coin to the listed doubled dies first. 1972S only has 4 doubled dies listed on Coppercoins and one of those is a proof. Then it would help us to help you if you can tell us which listing you are comparing your coin to. Or, if you don't see a doubled die listing that you think looks like your coin, then give us an explanation of what you are seeing so we know where to look. You are doing a great job and learning fast, keep up the good work!

9. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    As best I can tell there is PSD on the date... Here is a little info on coin photography http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...in-Photography Hope that helps a bit!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

11. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing liked this post