Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

2018 P PSD or Damaged Die?

Check out the "R" in LIBERTY. I thought this was odd looking and just wrote off as PSD at first but went back and looked again and it looked more like it could have been struck this way. Nothing super exciting but thought I would get your thoughts on it. Sorry for the full coin pics, it's like taking a picture of the sun, just doesn't work!

Thanks for looking, Jon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks VAB2013, Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you talking about the thin raised vertical line on the left side of the R?

I've always chalked this up to Planchet metal "sticking" to the die slightly as it pulls away from the coin.
    Similar(?) effect to a spatula pulling away from freshly applied cake frosting at a 90 degree angle. The frosting will get bumps and ripples in it.

4. Thanks makecents, VAB2013, Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cliff, thanks for checking it out!! There are what looks like two indentions in the west side of the "R" and then the raised area in the field that touches the R that you are referring to.

6. Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is odd and interesting Jon! Never seen it before! I like Cliff's explanation, but wonder why just the R is affected? Could it be like a hot spot (like where the cake sticks in the pan when you're trying to get it out)?

8. Thanks makecents, Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    This is odd and interesting Jon! Never seen it before! I like Cliff's explanation, but wonder why just the R is affected? Could it be like a hot spot (like where the cake sticks in the pan when you're trying to get it out)?
    Thanks for checking it out Viv!! It just doesn't look like PSD to me and I just had not seen anything quite like this before.

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool looking... There are some hits on the BETY... On the Rs vertical bar the edges look raised and some what jagged so I am thinking PSD... Maybe related to the BETY hits??? The little area at the NW edge looks like some die damage... The edges are jagged like something hit the die and took a small chunk out???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

12. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for checking it out Jim!! I just thought it was peculiar looking and not quite like PSD but you may be right. If you want to eyeball it, I'll send it with the 2017P-005's?

14. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    Thanks for checking it out Jim!! I just thought it was peculiar looking and not quite like PSD but you may be right. If you want to eyeball it, I'll send it with the 2017P-005's?
    Sounds good to me!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!