Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2016 P Illinois Quarter

I think this is either a die gouge or a Feeder Fingers Scrape running through LIBERTY to Washington's Chin. In Lincoln's Feeder Fingers Scrapes run from SE to NW, but I don't know their running direction for Quarters???
    There is also incuse PSD above and below the Y in LIBERTY.
    Can you help me identify this anomaly?
    Thanks,
    Adrian
    Wed Oct 10 19-52-17.jpgWed Oct 10 19-56-45.jpgWed Oct 10 19-54-33.jpgWed Oct 10 19-55-29.jpg

2. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    From the Glossary here on the LCF, would match the feeder fingers!! Link (http://www.lincolncentforum.com/term...list-f/#Feeder Finger) It's too uniform in my opinion to be a gouge. Cool find Adrian!!

4. Thanks VAB2013, Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Totally agree with Jon! Definitely looks like a feeder finger scrape! Cool find! Not sure about the incuse anomalies above and below the Y of Liberty. Sometimes different hits and dings are just impossible to know how they happened, but my feeling is it's PSD.

6. Thanks Coin5, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    From the Glossary here on the LCF, would match the feeder fingers!! Link (http://www.lincolncentforum.com/term...list-f/#Feeder Finger) It's too uniform in my opinion to be a gouge. Cool find Adrian!!
    I noticed the same Jon, it's too long and too perfect for a gouge... That's why the only thing else I could think of were Feeder Fingers Scrapes.

Feeder Fingers are a good candidate, however there are few inconsistencies in relation to Lincoln's Cents...

*The Feeder Fingers Scrapes running direction in Cents is from SE to NE. I don't know for Quarters though...
    *The Feeder Fingers Scrapes in Cents are almost always on the reverse. I don't know for Quarters though... This one in on the Obverse.
    *The Feeder Fingers Scrapes in Cents show streaks and are not perfectly rounded on top most of the times. This one looks rounded on top to me...

My limited glossary ends in Gouges and Feeder Fingers Scrapes in regards to what this could be; but perhaps there are other errors I don't know about which could explain this anomaly...

Thanks to both Jon and Viv. Good help as usually.

Edit: *The Feeder Fingers Scrapes running direction in Cents is from SE to NE. I don't know for Quarters though...
    Sorry, should read SE to NW instead of SE to NE.
    Last edited by Coin5; 10-11-2018 at 05:15 PM.

8. Thanks makecents, GrumpyEd thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well on a second look apparently there are some streaks on top of the anomaly, which I did not noticed the first time. That's a point in favor of the Feeder Fingers Scrape theory.
    Thanks again.

10. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coin5 View Post
    I noticed the same Jon, it's too long and too perfect for a gouge... That's why the only thing else I could think of were Feeder Fingers Scrapes.

Feeder Fingers are a good candidate, however there are few inconsistencies in relation to Lincoln's Cents...

*The Feeder Fingers Scrapes running direction in Cents is from SE to NE. I don't know for Quarters though...
    *The Feeder Fingers Scrapes in Cents are almost always on the reverse. I don't know for Quarters though... This one in on the Obverse.
    *The Feeder Fingers Scrapes in Cents show streaks and are not perfectly rounded on top most of the times. This one looks rounded on top to me...

My limited glossary ends in Gouges and Feeder Fingers Scrapes in regards to what this could be; but perhaps there are other errors I don't know about which could explain this anomaly...

Thanks to both Jon and Viv. Good help as usually.

I had the same thought, on quarters are the feeder finger scrapes mostly on the reverse and are they ever in this direction on the obv? I agree they look like feeder scrapes but it seems most examples I can find (mostly on pre statehood) are on the reverse so it made me wonder.

12. Thanks makecents, Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    I had the same thought, on quarters are the feeder finger scrapes mostly on the reverse and are they ever in this direction on the obv? I agree they look like feeder scrapes but it seems most examples I can find (mostly on pre statehood) are on the reverse so it made me wonder.
    On ERROR-REF.COM it says it can happen on the hammer die but the way it words it, maybe less common. Link (http://www.error-ref.com/die-scrapes/) I did look around and I'm not finding pics of it happening on the obverse though.

14. Thanks Coin5, GrumpyEd thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ed and Jon. Very interesting link Jon... however, although I still think feeder fingers scrape is the best candidate, there is still a problem with the orientation...
    Thanks again

16. Thanks makecents, GrumpyEd thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The area north and south of the Y looks like a struck thru foreign object... The edges appear to be sharp and crisp... I thought feeder fingers were done away with on the new presses??? Can you tell if the dies are rotated???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

18. Thanks Coin5, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    The area north and south of the Y looks like a struck thru foreign object... The edges appear to be sharp and crisp... I thought feeder fingers were done away with on the new presses??? Can you tell if the dies are rotated???
    That's a good one Jim, I did not think of die rotation here... I checked and unfortunately they are not rotated. I knew something was wrong with the PSD theory for the features above and below the Y because of the sharpness and they also looked very shiny...; but you know making sure is either one is very difficult...
    Added: Interesting if feeder fingers scrapes were no longer possible when this coin was struck; but that takes us back to basics: What caused this anomaly?
    Great input. Thanks,
    Adrian
    Last edited by Coin5; 10-13-2018 at 05:16 AM.

20. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, makecents liked this post