Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

1984 P Rim Cud and Rev Die Crack.

Here is another one. If you take a look there are incuse arches above and below the Cud again. I think a raised arched featured develops in the the die and then it breaks at the center creating the cud; but that's just speculation for what maybe creating these persistent Rim Cuds. There is no significant MAD for it to be blamed as the cause creating a folded metal fin. Also, in this particular case, the cud developed in the thinner part of the Rim created by the MAD... What causes them continues intriguing me...

Added: All I have seen so far are on the obverse rim. That maybe a clue about the cause.

There is also a very common die crack at the right corner of the Memorial as you can see.
    I think this pics are a bit better; but I have done so many tricks that by now, I don't know what I did to get them better

I just adjusted exposure by software this time. Did not have to adjust the colors.

Viv is right, each coin requires different lightning tricks.

Thanks,
    Adrian
    Sat Oct 13 08-38-01.jpgSat Oct 13 08-48-05.jpgSat Oct 13 08-40-43.jpgSat Oct 13 08-43-24.jpgSat Oct 13 08-44-34.jpg

2. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool... I can see the slight MAD on the obv... The rev rim looks normal all the way around... If you look at the rim starting at the 4 and move CW to the L of LIBERTY you can see how the rim is slightly thicker at the 4 then thins out and is starting to get thicker as it approaches the L... Also notice that directly opposite, 180 degrees, the rim is thinner to thicker then thinner again... The die was most likely tilted... On the NW quadrant the twin rim look was most likely caused by the tilt and the die was slightly higher at that point and 180 degrees opposite of the twin rim the die edge was slightly lower... The was not enough pressure applied on the twin rim side to complete the forming of the rim... The rim cud developed most likely due to a weak spot in the die... A poor annealing or just bad bar stock??? Normally the obv is the hammer die and does all the moving... The collar that helps form the rim/edge is on the anvil die which in turn helps support the dies edge during the strike... That allows the anvil die to better distribute the pressure from the hammer effect... Hope that helps a bit!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

4. Thanks Coin5, makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excelente!!!! Never thought of a tilted die... I think that's the key to all these cuds... It helped substantially.
    Thanks Jim,
    Adrian
    Last edited by Coin5; 10-14-2018 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Misspelling correction

6. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice find once Adrian!! It won't be long, you'll be writing a paper on CUDs for Coin World!! Nice pics by the way!

8. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    Very nice find once Adrian!! It won't be long, you'll be writing a paper on CUDs for Coin World!! Nice pics by the way!
    That was funny Jon...; but first I will have to learn how to write and then I will have to really learn about Rim Cuds and not just finding them... To do that, I will have to empty my brain of all the math and other junk I put on it for so many years... It's already full...

10. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Recycle Use what you have and apply it toward coins that should help a lot... As for writing you do pretty good!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

12. Thanks Coin5, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    JC said it is a Rim Cud; but the pictures aren't good enough, so it was not listed.
    Thanks,
    Adrian

14. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coin5 View Post
    JC said it is a Rim Cud; but the pictures aren't good enough, so it was not listed.
    Thanks,
    Adrian
    I just submitted a spike to JC and the same thing happened. The color of my coin and focus was off. I think, when a coin has a lot of circulation wear and the devices no longer have crisp edges, it's much harder to focus. The color of my coin in the photo did look off... but it was real close to the actual color of the coin, the coin was just a weird color. I think some Lincoln's just don't want to cooperate with us!

16. Thanks Coin5, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's unfortunate... It can take a bunch of trial and error to get useable pics but I think you will get it... Once you do then redo the pics and resubmit!!!
    Jim

18. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post