Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

1. The definition for "Trails" has been updated in the glossary. It now reads as follows:

Trail Die: Generally speaking, trails are parallel raised ridges which extend away from the corners of a coin’s design elements. They are strongest at the point where the device meets the field, and then taper off as they extend into the field. They vary in strength from naked-eye obvious to barely perceptible under magnification. A single coin can exhibit multiple sets of trails going in multiple directions. These ridges are created during polishing of the die by a rotary tool. A soft buff or bristles penetrate into the die’s recesses, gather in the corners of those devices, and then erode a gouge into the die as they exit the recesses into the higher relief of the field. Trails can also occur on a coin’s incuse devices, which are raised on the die. In this instance, the buff or bristle concentrate against the raised wall and gouge out a trail into the field where the device terminates. Since there is no change in relief in this instance, the trails are weaker. Wavy steps are a form of trails. First picture below by Ray Parkhurst. For a more detailed explanation, please see the article “Unraveling the Mysteries of Trail Dies” by Will Brooks in the July 17th 2017 issue of Coinworld Weekly. To see listings of trails, please visit http://www.traildies.com/.

Stay tuned for other edits as I find time. (which is slim and none these days, lol.) Please feel free to message me about edits that need to be made so I can add them to my list. Thank you.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely done Will.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

3. Thanks willbrooks, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Petespockets55, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent job Will!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

5. Thanks willbrooks, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have accomplished many great things through you knowledge and hard work Will! This is one great accomplishment! There will be many more, I am sure!

7. Likes willbrooks, Petespockets55, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This might help people visualize how this happens. This is a modern mint worker polishing a die.
    Evan-Eagle-Buffing-Coin-Die.jpg

Photo from: http://www.coinnews.net/2014/01/06/h...Flzvcwc8tFBc70
    “What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool... Thanks for the link... Now we know what polishing compound is used for the die - Diamond Paste Only!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.
    Excellent videos at the link also.

12. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Will!! I have tried to get better about containing myself from asking a lot of questions until I have a little better understanding of things in question, (A MAJOR CHARACTOR FLAW FOR ME). Even though I had read several things you have said and explained about trails, it really did not become clear until your post on the pics you needed for master trails (http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...icture-request) . I had an issue with why they were considered varieties and not errors but I understand this now. The polishing that creates the trails is the final step in the manufacturing of a die before being released into production for making coins. My only question, which you may have answered and I overlooked, can the trails be created from the master hub all the way down to working dies? Are each of the pieces polished as a final phase of the manufacturing of hubs and dies all the way through?
    Last edited by makecents; 12-04-2018 at 10:43 AM.