Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 P MAD

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the follow up pics... That is interesting... Is the ridge the same all the way around or does it fluctuate in size and thickness??? Your coin may be a collar error??? On Error Ref. http://www.error-ref.com/?s=partial+collar+errors yours closely matches the collar shimmy coin that is displayed... The sample shown states that it is the only known collar shimmy error... Maybe Mike Diamond could help with this???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

2. Thanks Coin5, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It goes all around the coin Jim; but it is just a bit thinner where the MAD is thicker and a bit thicker where the MAD is thinner... I hope you can see it in the pics below.
    Thanks for the very interesting link. The error in that quarter looks similar to me also, so as you mentioned, it could be a collar shimmy error. Very interesting, I thought it was just a regular MAD... Good thing I asked and even better you got involved...

Thanks for your interest and great help.
    Adrian

Edge at Thicker part of the MAD.jpgEdge at thinner part of the MAD.jpg

4. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That would make sense... The metal flow was into the rim area north of USA... I hope this turns out to be a collar shimmy since there is only one reported for U.S. coins... Were you going to send Mike Diamond PM to come look or would you like me to???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

6. Thanks Coin5, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jim, I could PM him, but never done it before and I don't know him. If you can do it that would be much appreciated, as you probably know him.
    Really appreciate your interest and awesome help. Thanks again,
    Adrian

8. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coin5 View Post
    Thanks Jim, I could PM him, but never done it before and I don't know him. If you can do it that would be much appreciated, as you probably know him.
    Really appreciate your interest and awesome help. Thanks again,
    Adrian
    I do not personally know him but he is a member here... Let me shoot him a PM with a link to this thread... Hopefully he will chime in... As always you are very welcome!!!

Added - I have sent Mike Diamond a PM asking for his insight... We will see how far off I am on this one
    Last edited by jfines69; 10-21-2018 at 03:30 AM.
    Jim

10. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Coin5 liked this post
    Paid Member, Error Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    The coin shows a horizontal misalignment of the reverse (hammer) die. The weakness at the base of Lincoln's bust is directly attributable to the misalignment as there was reduced resistance to the impact of the obverse (anvil) die here. The edge shows a partial collar error, an error type that frequently co-occurs with misalignments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikediamond View Post
    The coin shows a horizontal misalignment of the reverse (hammer) die. The weakness at the base of Lincoln's bust is directly attributable to the misalignment as there was reduced resistance to the impact of the obverse (anvil) die here. The edge shows a partial collar error, an error type that frequently co-occurs with misalignments.
    I think that explains all the questions we had in this thread in a very precise way.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to review this coin and share your knowledge and experience with us.
    Thanks again,
    Adrian

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Mike for chiming in... Very much appreciated!!!
    Jim

14. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since I had already pulled out my old micrometer for another coin and Jim asked about the width of the coin, I thought it was a good idea to measure the size of this 2018P MAD also. Jim, when you asked, I just compared it visually with another 2018 P and they looked the same; but I guess my eyes can't detect minute differences as can be done with the micrometer. I checked the micrometer for accuracy a few days ago, using the standard it comes with and it seems to be right on the spot.

Here are the results:

The diameter measurement including the ridge on the edge is 0.7555" x 25.4 mm/inch= 19.1897 mm
    The diameter measurement without including the ridge is 0.7523" x 25.4 mm/inch= 19.10842 mm
    Difference= 0.0032" x 25.4 mm/inch= 0.08128 mm
    Approximate thickness of the ridge= Difference/2= 0.0016"= 0.04064 mm

Please note that performing measurements at such a level of precision is a difficult task, therefore they are approximate. Systematic and random errors are always present in any measurement process. The goal here is just to have an idea of how much the ridge on the edge of the coin increased its width. The result was approximately 3.2 thousands of an inch (3.2 mills) or about .08 mm. Also, the width of the ridge is probably not constant all around the coin, with minor fluctuations involved.
    It is also interesting that the width of the coin is greater than the nominal 0.75" (3/4") or 19.05 mm by as much 5.5 mills (0.1397 mm) where the ridge is.

Thank you for your interest,
    Adrian

IMG_20181126_192007.jpgIMG_20181120_180517.jpgIMG_20181126_201921.jpg

16. Thanks makecents, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is cool... I think you covered that really well... I do not remember if I gave you these references before relating to coins and other types of U.S. currency - this is from the mint https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-an...specifications and this is from the U.S. Code as pertaining to the law for currency production https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/31/5112 There is a lot of info in the U.S. Code and it does get very specific on tolerances!!!
    Jim

18. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post