Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017D doubled?

Post Thanks / Like

Answered: 2017D doubled?

Do yall see any doubling in ONE, I see it in the initials LB. Still figuring this scope out, its very grainy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. "One thing I will make note of and that is about class 6 doubled dies. The terminology for class 6 is "distended Hub Doubling". Extra thickness of all the devices does not mean it is a class 6. There is usually some twisting or distortion associated with it. This is usually seen best on the tail of the 9, the IBE of LIBERTY or the E of WE for obverse doubled dies. Just look up class 6 and you will see what I mean.
    On this particular example, almost all of the devices show some extra thickness. This is normally your clue that this is deterioration as it affects everything. As the die continues to strike coins, the relatively sharp edges gives way to mushiness which then leads to extra thickness. Put that together with regular circulation wear, and you can see where the significant extra thickness comes from."

3. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 94
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearing View Post
    Do yall see any doubling in ONE, I see it in the initials LB. Still figuring this scope out, its very grainy.
    I do see what you are talking about but cannot tell from the pics. It would be cool if you found a DDR on a 2017 because there are none. It may just be lighting but the "O" in ONE looks odd. As I told you, maybe play with the settings on the scope. You may be able to get the clarity a little better by upping the pixels, sometime the default is set low.

5. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im still trying to figure out how to do that its not on the scope itself its prolly in my app, its a cheap one lol but ill figure it out. Thank you for theinfo, the instructions are all in Chinese lol

7. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 94
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearing View Post
    Im still trying to figure out how to do that its not on the scope itself its prolly in my app, its a cheap one lol but ill figure it out. Thank you for theinfo, the instructions are all in Chinese lol
    Look again at post #22 where I explained this to you. Link (http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...bled-Die/page3)

9. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, ok ill go look for that and see what i can do, i misread earlier, my bad. Let me see what i can find, thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Its only letting me pick one pixel setting 640 x 800
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    That does look weird... I hope you can get a better pic of it so we can get a better idea on what you have... The O in ONE looks out of round on the close up and full rev pics but the N and E look thick on the close up and normal on the full rev pic... Could be lighting giving us a run for the money
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

13. Thanks Dearing, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    Best I can tell from the pics it looks like MD, maybe some MD at the edge of the scroll near it. Dearing, I hate to be a bad news breaker... but you may need to send the scope back and find a different one Please tell us the name of it so we can take a look online and see if it's compatible with taking pics of coins.

15. Likes makecents liked this post
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 400
    Really??? Coins that are in this bad of a condition should never be used to try and identify an error or variety. As far as I am concerned, the very fact that the surface of the coin is compromised like this is a good reason to not even consider it as anything but damage and worth throwing in the trash. I understand the newer folks not knowing, but our established folks should know better than to even guess on something this bad.

On the other hand, using this post as a way to help improve the photo quality is a much better endeavor.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

17. Thanks VAB2013, Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    Thank you Bob, you are right! It just becomes a guessing game when pics are blurry and/or distorted or the coin has a lot of damage. We were all excited for Dearing to get his new scope in and now it's disappointing for him, and us, that the scope doesn't seem to be up to par for coin photos.