Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1973D clash?

Post Thanks / Like

Answered: 1973D clash?

Is this a die clash behind columns 2 & 3 and coming up towards the roof?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. "One thing I will make note of and that is about class 6 doubled dies. The terminology for class 6 is "distended Hub Doubling". Extra thickness of all the devices does not mean it is a class 6. There is usually some twisting or distortion associated with it. This is usually seen best on the tail of the 9, the IBE of LIBERTY or the E of WE for obverse doubled dies. Just look up class 6 and you will see what I mean.
    On this particular example, almost all of the devices show some extra thickness. This is normally your clue that this is deterioration as it affects everything. As the die continues to strike coins, the relatively sharp edges gives way to mushiness which then leads to extra thickness. Put that together with regular circulation wear, and you can see where the significant extra thickness comes from."

3. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    That's a good question Dearing and I can see why you would think it might be a die clash. But the raised area in column 2 and above the Memorial is not typically where the clash is seen. I do see something there but it's hard to tell for sure without close up pics. Please give this one an acetone bath and get some closer pics with your new scope!

Here's a link to maddieclashes denominational overlays and it's the 5th one down http://www.maddieclashes.com/one-cent-overlays/

5. Thanks Dearing, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    That's a good question Dearing and I can see why you would think it might be a die clash. But the raised area in column 2 and above the Memorial is not typically where the clash is seen. I do see something there but it's hard to tell for sure without close up pics. Please give this one an acetone bath and get some closer pics with your new scope!

Here's a link to maddieclashes denominational overlays and it's the 5th one down http://www.maddieclashes.com/one-cent-overlays/
    Ill check out the link, it looks like the bottom of his chin beard neck area, idk tho ill take yr advice...

7. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sticks out like a sore thumb lol

Post Thanks / Like

The part that came oit of the top was dirt or something but the inside of the columns aint budging lol ill get some acetone today and get back with u the link and pics are awesome tools

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 94
    I think this one gets everyone the first time they see it and there were some ideas on what it was but nothing solid. This is a somewhat common occurance on the 73D for some reason and I think maybe the general consensus was that it could have been a damaged working hub. I posted one and I think Sheila did too. I'll do some digging around to see if I can find the posts. I might have even saved my find. If you look on the obverse just behind (west)of Abe's shoulder in the field, there is a raised area that looks like heavy abrasions to go along with what you're seeing on the reverse.

Found a couple of links, an older one that Ed led me to (Thanks Ed!!) (http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...highlight=1973)

Here is my link (http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...D-What-is-this)
    Last edited by makecents; 10-23-2018 at 03:09 PM.

12. Thanks Dearing, VAB2013, GrumpyEd thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing, VAB2013, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Jon for your research and information! John (stoneman227)'s study linking this to Recurring Die Subsidence Errors looks spot on! Mike Diamond's article shows this anomaly on a 1973D Lincoln cent and he explains that the defect is always found on the left side of the Memorial between columns 1-3, that the outline and height is slightly different from die to die but the location is quite consistent. Mike mentions at least 8 dies being represented and John identified 14 different dies in his study.

Here's the link to error-ref.com - Recurring Die Subsidence Errors
    http://www.error-ref.com/recurring-d...sidence-error/

14. Thanks makecents, Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Dearing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Jon for your research and information! John (stoneman227)'s study linking this to Recurring Die Subsidence Errors looks spot on! Mike Diamond's article shows this anomaly on a 1973D Lincoln cent and he explains that the defect is always found on the left side of the Memorial between columns 1-3, that the outline and height is slightly different from die to die but the location is quite consistent. Mike mentions at least 8 dies being represented and John identified 14 different dies in his study.

Here's the link to error-ref.com - Recurring Die Subsidence Errors
    http://www.error-ref.com/recurring-d...sidence-error/
    That was all very interesting and a learning experience for me of course i had to stop n fix my electricity that blew fuses lol thank y'all ��

16. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearing View Post
    That was all very interesting and a learning experience for me of course i had to stop n fix my electricity that blew fuses lol thank y'all ��
    Yeah... there's so much great information on this forum from members who have been doing this a lot longer than myself and many others of us! It's great to go back and read these threads! I've always wondered if you added up all the years' experience and knowledge our mentors here have... how big would that number be... several hundreds, maybe more than that!

18. Thanks makecents, Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Dearing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah i bet so, lots of knowledge here, i believe iys the best one myself its hard for me to read and remember n learn im more hands on and i learn faster, ya know, but im trying hard and thanks to yall being patient i havent failed, so thank yall

20. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post