Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 400
    One thing I will make note of and that is about class 6 doubled dies. The terminology for class 6 is "distended Hub Doubling". Extra thickness of all the devices does not mean it is a class 6. There is usually some twisting or distortion associated with it. This is usually seen best on the tail of the 9, the IBE of LIBERTY or the E of WE for obverse doubled dies. Just look up class 6 and you will see what I mean.
    On this particular example, almost all of the devices show some extra thickness. This is normally your clue that this is deterioration as it affects everything. As the die continues to strike coins, the relatively sharp edges gives way to mushiness which then leads to extra thickness. Put that together with regular circulation wear, and you can see where the significant extra thickness comes from.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

2. Thanks Dearing, VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing, VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    Thank you very much Bob for this explanation! The best I can tell from Dearing's coin in this thread, it looks to be an early die state, I'm not seeing many die flow lines and the devices are very crisp and not showing any real signs of circulation wear. However, the coin he is comparing it to appears to be the opposite; a later die state, has some circulation wear, etc. Since we don't have any markers to go by on the Wexler example... more comparisions with similar early die state 1992D's would probably help.

4. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    Thanks for chiming in... Bob has much more experience than I ever will... Even tho I can not tell with the images provided I have a feeling Bob is correct... Here is a link to Error ref http://www.error-ref.com/?s=doubled+die+classes covering the different classes of doubled dies... I have read it many times and my old mind still has issues with the different classes One day maybe!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

6. Thanks VAB2013, Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Dearing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely Jim, I'm not doubting Bob one bit. I'm just trying to help Dearning when it comes to comparing coins, especially when there are no known markers. Which makes the task even more difficult.

8. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ... And I thank all of yall for helping learn the difference one day once i scope it, i can put this one to rest lol

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely look at it and do some more comparison's when you get your new scope and a few other 1992D's to compare it to. To me, comparison helps to train your eye/brain connection as to what to look for. I still have to compare coins to Coppercoins and the other sites listings because there's no way I can remember it all!

12. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive compared it to about 10 different ones so far, and ill keep comparing lol when I eye loupe it I feel i see a seperation line but who knows til i can get a closeup, either way its s good learning experience for me

14. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is a very good learning experience and your full coin pics are very good! Oftentimes, it's the full coin pics that gives us fits! I think it will be a fun challenge for you once your scope comes in and you can see what it will do. Most of the time, it's not the scope causing the problems, it's the lighting or a really shiny Lincoln that makes photos difficult. Start with a nice Lincoln, one that's brown (not super shiny) and that will help you get used to your new scope!

16. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I will do that

18. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    I am still hoping better pics will show us what is going on... I will be waiting... When we get them we get them!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

20. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post