Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1970D Spike with a Die Clash

Additional Information
    Date: 1970D

Found this 1970D spike and it's real close to 01 that was submitted by Earl, but the mint marks are in a different spot.

While I was trying to get full coin shots and messing around with the lights, the die clash showed up. Can't see the die clash up close under higher magnification and at a distance the light has to hit just right. First time this has ever happened to me, normally I can see die clash marks with this scope/light just fine.

Tomorrow I will try some different lighting, or natural light and see if that helps.

Added: The 7 and 0 took a hit, not MD.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VAB2013; 10-29-2018 at 09:59 PM.

2. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Alurid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool new find Viv!! Nice catch on the mm position. The listed spike takes a hard westerly turn just as it hits the head, where yours is pretty much due south. Nice clash too! It looks like the obverse has real heavy abrasions where they tried to make it go away but it's still poking through!

There were a lot of spikes for 70D and a handful for 70S but none in Philly! I just thought that was odd...
    Last edited by makecents; 10-30-2018 at 03:16 AM.

4. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice find... Spike looks like 028 to me http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-cen...ads-1970-1979/ With the faintness of the clash that die must have been close to the end of usefullness!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

6. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    Very cool new find Viv!! Nice catch on the mm position. The listed spike takes a hard westerly turn just as it hits the head, where yours is pretty much due south. Nice clash too! It looks like the obverse has real heavy abrasions where they tried to make it go away but it's still poking through!

There were a lot of spikes for 70D and a handful for 70S but none in Philly! I just thought that was odd...
    Thank you Jon! Yeah, at first I thought it was the same spike because where Earl's goes west, there's circulation wear on my coin. But then I saw the MM! The obverse does have heavy die scratches on both sides of Lincoln's neck but I'm not seeing heavy die scratches anywhere else. I'm still a little puzzled by that.

That does seem odd, no 1970P spikes are listed. Surely there have been some found and just not reported??

8. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Nice find... Spike looks like 028 to me http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-cen...ads-1970-1979/ With the faintness of the clash that die must have been close to the end of usefullness!!!
    LOL Jim, every time you do that I fall for it and go looking Thank you for helping Jim! I found it after I got home from work and was just too tired to try to figure out the lighting thing. Today I will take another look with less artificial light and more natural light. The Jansjo's are what found it, they give the coin that heavy deep yellow brown look that I don't like because you can tell it's flushed with too much light. The coin's color is actually brown and still has a pretty nice luster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    LOL Jim, every time you do that I fall for it and go looking Thank you for helping Jim! I found it after I got home from work and was just too tired to try to figure out the lighting thing. Today I will take another look with less artificial light and more natural light. The Jansjo's are what found it, they give the coin that heavy deep yellow brown look that I don't like because you can tell it's flushed with too much light. The coin's color is actually brown and still has a pretty nice luster.
    When JC gets finished it will be there Comparing yours with 01 notice where the crack enters the hair yours shoots straight in and on 01 there is a significant jog to the west... Circ wear will changed the appearance of the crack but not how the crack is shaped (if that makes sense???)
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

11. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When JC gets finished it will be there Comparing yours with 01 notice where the crack enters the hair yours shoots straight in and on 01 there is a significant jog to the west... Circ wear will changed the appearance of the crack but not how the crack is shaped (if that makes sense???)
    Thanks Jim! Yes I do see that now and Jon was explaining it to me in his post as well and I just now caught it! Here are some updated pics with natural light. The die clash in front of Lincoln's face shows up better than at Liberty (couldn't get that part to show up to take a pic)
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice follow up pics... You going to do an overlay... Did you check to see if the clash was listed???
    Jim

15. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice follow up pics... You going to do an overlay... Did you check to see if the clash was listed???
    Thank you Jim! I didn't see the die clash listed but since it's hard to see the clash I think it would be hard to do an overlay.

17. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Thank you Jim! I didn't see the die clash listed but since it's hard to see the clash I think it would be hard to do an overlay.
    Oh well... Not all clashes can be shown with overlays... I am surprised the die lasted that long with out falling apart!!!
    Jim

19. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post