Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Thread: 1954 D PSD?

Post Thanks / Like

Answered: 1954 D PSD?

I have found nothing interesting for about a week; but this 54 D looks confusing to me. There is an incuse feature on the left wheat branch which I'm not sure if it is PSD or something else. There is also a worn out small chip south of the incuse feature. The incuse area looks like just an abrupt change in elevation keeping all the normal design lines intact which makes me wonder if that could be PSD or not???
    Can you tell if it is PSD or something else I don't know about?
    Thanks,
    Adrian

Tue Oct 30 07-13-48.jpgTue Oct 30 07-12-29.jpgTue Oct 30 07-10-19.jpgTue Oct 30 07-10-44.jpgTue Oct 30 07-11-19.jpgTue Oct 30 07-11-26.jpg

2. "Well, two things come to mind.

1) Incuse area might be a lamination next to a die crack (appears to be a die chip in the wheat lines.)

2)More likely the incuse area might be a die crack only that has caused the die to shift slightly causing the abrupt change in elevation.

(there does appear to be a raised area along the rim, edge of a crack or lamination(?), but that might be debris like Jon said)
    "

3. Thanks makecents, VAB2013, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 94
    Adrian, weigh the coin an see what you come up with, it may be heavy. It looks like the incuse area you are referring to is the coin as it should be and the rest is gunk or corrosion that has built up on the coin.

5. Thanks Coin5, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Coin5, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 62
    Well, two things come to mind.

1) Incuse area might be a lamination next to a die crack (appears to be a die chip in the wheat lines.)

2)More likely the incuse area might be a die crack only that has caused the die to shift slightly causing the abrupt change in elevation.

(there does appear to be a raised area along the rim, edge of a crack or lamination(?), but that might be debris like Jon said)
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 10-30-2018 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Clarify

7. Thanks VAB2013, Coin5, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Coin5, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    Looks like a crack/chip that has been worn displacing metal to the west giving the appearance of an incuse area... It looks large enough to be classified as an IDB??? The top of the IDB starts about 3/4s of the way down the length of the C in CENT and stops even with the top of the U in UNITED... I can not tell if the crack makes it to the rim on either end... I checked COC and it is not listed http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-cen...eak-1909-1958/ Nice find!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

9. Thanks VAB2013, Coin5, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Coin5, Petespockets55, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jon I weighted the coin and it is slightly heavier as the scale changes sometimes from 3.1g to 3.2g and vice versa, so I guess it's close to 3.2g... However I don't think there is much gunk and corrosion to cause a weight increase in this coin. Unfortunately I can't find my acetone to clean it...
    I'm more with Cliff and Jim on this one. What they said about a chip or IDB next to a crack and displacing metal to the side "makes cents" to me somehow. It could be something like a retained/displaced chip/IDB which would create a protuberance in the die and the incuse area in the coin??; but honestly it's still hard to imagine how all that happened for me... There is little if any misalignment in the wheat lines as I can see and for such a feature to appear, I would expect a bit more; but of course, my judgement of the amount of displacement present versus needed could be wrong.
    I'll wait a bit more just in case someone else have any new ideas or confirms all this.
    Thanks to all,
    Adrian

11. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 94
    Thanks for checking Adrian!! I would have to say you are correct and that does makecents!! Cliff and Jim have a day or two longer than me at this, they're teaching me everyday!!

13. Thanks Coin5, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, Coin5, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coin5 View Post
    Jon I weighted the coin and it is slightly heavier as the scale changes sometimes from 3.1g to 3.2g and vice versa, so I guess it's close to 3.2g... However I don't think there is much gunk and corrosion to cause a weight increase in this coin. Unfortunately I can't find my acetone to clean it...
    I'm more with Cliff and Jim on this one. What they said about a chip or IDB next to a crack and displacing metal to the side "makes cents" to me somehow. It could be something like a retained/displaced chip/IDB which would create a protuberance in the die and the incuse area in the coin??; but honestly it's still hard to imagine how all that happened for me... There is little if any misalignment in the wheat lines as I can see and for such a feature to appear, I would expect a bit more; but of course, my judgement of the amount of displacement present versus needed could be wrong.
    I'll wait a bit more just in case someone else have any new ideas or confirms all this.
    Thanks to all,
    Adrian
    Depending on the scale manufacturer the sensitivity can vary widely... I use a Franklin Arsenal powder scale... I have to be very careful as if I breath or a fan blows on the scale it can vary by as much as +/- 0.2 grams... If you have a chip/IDB on a coin that is because there is a cavity on the die from a piece breaking and falling out... A RIDB is the broken piece on the die still in place... When the cracks join up and the under lying metal breaks free then you get a shift in the design on either side of the coin and that will continue until the broken piece falls out leaving a cavity and that then becomes the chip/IDB... Same principle for the cuds/retained cuds... In the case of your coin we would not see a shift in the design near the IDB/chip as that section is not broken free yet... If anything we would see weakened design details around the IDB/chip as the metal flows from those area into the cavity in the die... If you take a look at some of the listed cuds on COC you will notice that there are ones with such a large amount of metal flow into the cavity that the details from the opposing die are gone... Hope that helps a bit!!! COC - http://cuds-on-coins.com/cuds-on-u-s-coins/ http://cuds-on-coins.com/retained-cuds-on-u-s-coins-2/
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

15. Thanks VAB2013, makecents, Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome explanation as usual Jim.
    Thanks for helping 64 bits
    Adrian

17. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coin5 View Post
    Awesome explanation as usual Jim.
    Thanks for helping 64 bits
    Adrian
    At least it's not 8 bit
    Jim

19. Thanks Coin5, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Coin5, VAB2013 liked this post