Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by enamel7 View Post
    Wow! That 1974 looks almost identical!
    I thought that's what it was when I first saw Sheila's pic but then pulled it up in the glossary and it seemed much different.

Link (http://lincolncentforum.com/wp-conte...ent_IMAGES.jpg) I guess that example is just a much more extreme cap. As soon as I saw the pic of the 74 in error-ref though, there was little doubt.

2. Thanks Sheila ruley, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Sheila ruley, VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice find... I am with the others... Excellent job on the link Jon... That 74 really convinced me also!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

4. Thanks makecents, Sheila ruley, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I definitely agree with a 'Struck Through Late Stage Die Cap'. I also threw away many when I was young and stupid and didn't know any better. Now that I am old and stupid...I don't make that mistake any more. This is one of my favorite errors and I now have abut a half dozen cents and a dime with this error. Rally nice find!
    Bob Piazza
    Lincoln Cent Attributer
    coppercoins.com

6. Thanks VAB2013, jfines69, makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Sheila for a very nice find! Nice job nailing this one Big Brother enamel! And kudo's to Jon for linking us to a great example on that 1974!

Bob, we all know better... you are just being humble and a little bit funny when you pick on yourself! If we just had half of the knowledge you have... then we could say "I'm almost as smart as Bob!"

Now... I confess... I have read about struck through die caps and there's a lot I don't understand. The only part I really get is, a coin gets stuck to one of the dies and strikes other coins until it falls off.

8. Thanks Sheila ruley, makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Congrats Sheila for a very nice find! Nice job nailing this one Big Brother enamel! And kudo's to Jon for linking us to a great example on that 1974!

Bob, we all know better... you are just being humble and a little bit funny when you pick on yourself! If we just had half of the knowledge you have... then we could say "I'm almost as smart as Bob!"

Now... I confess... I have read about struck through die caps and there's a lot I don't understand. The only part I really get is, a coin gets stuck to one of the dies and strikes other coins until it falls off.
    Which part gets stuck
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post

It is usually the hammer die that the coin sticks too. This action will/can cause a cluster strike. (google cluster struck coin). When a coin gets stuck to the hammer die
    it will first imprint the reverse onto the next coin that it strikes, (early stage Capped Die) , The metal that is stuck onto the die will start to get thinner and thinner until you can see the design of the obverse again, but it will be quite blurry,( Mid stage Capped die) If allow to continue you will start to see design elements that are readable and look like a Normal" cent. The Die Press may have to be stopped to remove a Capped Die. All this happens at Three coin per Second. When the Dies get Dry a coin is able to Stick to the Die. One reason Struck Through Grease/Debris is so common.

12. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Paid Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was just awesome to read! Thank you!

14. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post