Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Paid Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a question for some advice about 2 coins

I am wondering if it would be worth submitting a 1961 D & a 1962 D cent for grading. They both seem to be in Mint State of at least 60 something grade. I just want to know if you guys think that it would be worth sending him since the value of them to be pretty high. Watch some of the videos about them on YouTube. Buy couch collectibles and Blue Ridge. They tell you all about them and what to look for. What do you guys think? Here are some pictures of 1961 D and the 1962 D. I am looking for opinions please. CB9C4D6F-C868-420B-BECB-643C1513CAAB.jpg 14940576-788C-4E17-BCA8-0E4F3E84B13A.jpg 3EC813A7-8FB2-4C99-A183-7FDE04677259.jpg

3075A97C-29BF-48CC-ACFE-630FBE210BB6.jpg 7226EB10-B7FA-40CF-B778-70002CE09B1D.jpg

2. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    These are some that have sold on eBay.
    Link for 61D (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-D-LINC...4AAOSwAclbq-sG)
    Link for 62D (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-D-NGC-...YAAOSwyLlXphqc)
    I'll let the folks who are more knowledgeable break it down for you as far as cost but I think what you have would be low MS60's and the two I've shown you are MS65 and less than what it would cost to have yours slabbed. Very nice looking coins though that should go in a tube!

4. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Paid Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I didn’t see those. Nope, I guess I won’t be doing anything with them!

6. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking coins... I think Jon nailed it... To make them worth slabbing they would need to be a 68 or 70 IMHO!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

8. Thanks makecents, GrumpyEd thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheila ruley View Post
    ................ Watch some of the videos about them on YouTube. Buy couch collectibles and Blue Ridge. They tell you all about them .......
    Jon is right about using Ebay as a reference for "SOLD" prices. (Anyone can check by going to Ebay, finding the search bar and clicking on "AVANCED" to the right of the bar.)

I am going to guess these two businesses mentioned just happen to have some available at prices just below what they say the coins are worth?
    Remember, Youtube accounts can generate $ for the owners simply by getting people to visit the site.

Youtube Site "Traffic/Visits" = $$$$$.

Youtube Site "Traffic/Visits" = Telling people what they want to hear or play with their emotions.
    (As in "Common Penny-Nickel-Dime-
    Quarter-Half sells for BIG $" or cute kitten videos.)

What better way to generate traffic than to tell people what they want to hear or pull at their emotons. (In the spirit of the season, these grandiose claims kind of remind me of elections also!!!)

10. Thanks GrumpyEd, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, GrumpyEd, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should be able to buy a full roll of red uncs of either date for $3-4 so each coin is worth about 7 cents.
    Having them graded is even worse, you spend about $30-50 and get back about $10 so you lose $20-40 per coin.

12. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Neither date exists in an MS70 yet. If you got one in 70 you'd be lucky like a lottery winner. Those will grade way lower, maybe 64 and not even sure if they'd be red from the pics.

The reason rolls are cheap is the odds of finding a super high grade in hundreds of rolls is slim, they're full of 63-64 and lucky to be over that and really tough to go over 65-66.

14. Thanks VAB2013, Sheila ruley, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Sheila ruley, jfines69, makecents liked this post
    Paid Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I found that out. I am just going to keep trying, lol. Oh well, that’s the fun of searching.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be rare to find a MS67 or above from 1961 through 1964 as these years were the worst struck coins in the series. However, some are out there check with PCGS I think they have graded some. I have over 2,000 of the 1961d's in uncirculated condition from the Denver branch federal reserve bank of Kansas City. there may be a few that grade around MS-64 or 65 in the mix but I don't think any would be over MS- 66..................Dan

17. Thanks Sheila ruley, VAB2013, jfines69, GrumpyEd thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dinkyblue View Post
    It would be rare to find a MS67 or above from 1961 through 1964 as these years were the worst struck coins in the series. However, some are out there check with PCGS I think they have graded some. I have over 2,000 of the 1961d's in uncirculated condition from the Denver branch federal reserve bank of Kansas City. there may be a few that grade around MS-64 or 65 in the mix but I don't think any would be over MS- 66..................Dan
    This is very true. The nice uncs are common but they get tough where the price equals or gets near the grading fees. To get a 67 or wherever the price goes up is very tough and that's exactly what sets the values. To be ahead it takes skill to be able to pick the right few coins out of thousands and even then it may not pay off because what looks great to us may still be right at the break even point. It's always a bad assumption to look at a bag and think the best one will be a money coin because in most bags the best coin might be a 65-66.

19. Thanks Sheila ruley thanked for this post
    Likes Sheila ruley, makecents, dinkyblue liked this post