Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: 2017D doubled?

  1. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    371
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by mustbebob View Post
    Really??? Coins that are in this bad of a condition should never be used to try and identify an error or variety. As far as I am concerned, the very fact that the surface of the coin is compromised like this is a good reason to not even consider it as anything but damage and worth throwing in the trash. I understand the newer folks not knowing, but our established folks should know better than to even guess on something this bad.

    On the other hand, using this post as a way to help improve the photo quality is a much better endeavor.
    Bob, the coin is in excellent condition, the scope however is a dud, I apologize for the bad pics... you get what u pay for and i got ripped.

  2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
  3. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    371
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Thank you Bob, you are right! It just becomes a guessing game when pics are blurry and/or distorted or the coin has a lot of damage. We were all excited for Dearing to get his new scope in and now it's disappointing for him, and us, that the scope doesn't seem to be up to par for coin photos.
    Is there a certain brand that works good for coins, this one was generic.... How many pixels do i need minimum?

  4. #13
    Forum Ambassador VAB2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cullman, AL
    Posts
    9,173
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    575
    Provided Answers: 37
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearing View Post
    Is there a certain brand that works good for coins, this one was generic.... How many pixels do i need minimum?
    You do not have a computer or laptop, right?

  5. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing liked this post
  6. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    371
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    29
    No, just phone, i think i didnt get one with enough pixels, it only goes up to the 680

  7. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
  8. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    371
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    29
    ... best I can do with phone
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
  10. #16
    Forum Ambassador VAB2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cullman, AL
    Posts
    9,173
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    575
    Provided Answers: 37
    Okay, just for a phone. I'm not familiar with using a phone, but here are some ideas I found at Carson Optical. They have a MagniScope that is around $30, that may be able to attach to your phone by using the Carson Hookupz or HookUpz2.0 they start at around $14 and go up. Here's what I would do... call Carson Optical Mon-Fri during normal business hours. Tell them what kind of phone you have and that you want to take close ups of Lincoln cents. They can guide you from there. Here's Carson's phone 631-963-5000. When Tracy and I were doing the study on microscopes, I called Carson and actually spoke with the Carson guy in the video's. He was very helpful but they just didn't have a USB Digital Microscope like we were looking for. I'm not sure if the MagniScope is sturdy enough to utilize connecting a phone to it, and it's limited as far as magnification to around 30x I think... but really 30x is about right for what we're doing.

    Carson also sells microscopes with smartphone attachments, at around $89.00, here's a link to one of those.
    Last edited by VAB2013; 1 Week Ago at 12:32 PM.

  11. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    371
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Okay, just for a phone. I'm not familiar with using a phone, but here are some ideas I found at Carson Optical. They have a MagniScope that is around $30, that may be able to attach to your phone by using the Carson Hookupz or HookUpz2.0 they start at around $14 and go up. Here's what I would do... call Carson Optical Mon-Fri during normal business hours. Tell them what kind of phone you have and that you want to take close ups of Lincoln cents. They can guide you from there. Here's Carson's phone 631-963-5000. When Tracy and I were doing the study on microscopes, I called Carson and actually spoke with the Carson guy in the video's. He was very helpful but they just didn't have a USB Digital Microscope like we were looking for. I'm not sure if the MagniScope is sturdy enough to utilize connecting a phone to it, and it's limited as far as magnification to around 30x I think... but really 30x is about right for what we're doing.

    Carson also sells microscopes with smartphone attachments, at around $89.00, here's a link to one of those.
    cool thank u, ill check those out, i appreciate it. I saw you found a close am not long ago, awesome, congrats, im chasing one of those myself

  12. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
  13. #18
    Forum Ambassador VAB2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cullman, AL
    Posts
    9,173
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    575
    Provided Answers: 37
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearing View Post
    Is there a certain brand that works good for coins, this one was generic.... How many pixels do i need minimum?
    Can you give me a link to the one you got? I'm thinking the problem might be that it is too high powered and that's why the images are so distorted.

  14. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing liked this post
  15. #19
    Forum Ambassador VAB2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cullman, AL
    Posts
    9,173
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    575
    Provided Answers: 37
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearing View Post
    cool thank u, ill check those out, i appreciate it. I saw you found a close am not long ago, awesome, congrats, im chasing one of those myself
    Okay cool! The staff at Carson is very knowledgeable and helpful! I've dealt with them on numerous occasions in the past when I first started searching Lincoln's and used their Zorb. The Zorb I had had a kink in the USB cable and they sent me another one out right away... free! A very friendly and reputable company!

    Yes Sir, I did find the amazingly reclusive 1992D CLAM... I still have a hard time believing it!

  16. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing liked this post
  17. #20
    Moderator jfines69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    22,147
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rep Power
    1391
    Provided Answers: 86
    Thanks for the follow up pics... That scope is really giving you fits... Those pics are a little better and show a normal coin with circ and die wear!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

  18. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •