Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great photos and research Jim! Thanks Jon for sending this one to Jim so we can all see what happened! So it's a rim burr that got sliced off the proto-rim during the upset mill process that landed back on the planchet and stayed there where it then got struck by the obverse die and got pushed up into the rim? I just realized by reading Will's definition that the upset mill has feeder fingers too.

2. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It may have been a rim bur but I do not think it would have come off until the planchet entered the strike chamber... Maybe the collar knocked it loose and popped it up onto the planchet... The shape/size of the rims inside is consistent with the shape/size of the sliver from the edge... Found this about the upset mill https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCI16hXpRQk I was unaware of the upset mill having feeder fingers... Cool!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

4. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Jim for the video link, that's very cool! Can't really tell where the feeder fingers are in the proto-rim process, you see the blanks dropping out of a thing so something must be feeding them into the upsetting mill and/or feeding them out of it (I don't think the video is showing all of that process, but it's kind of choppy so maybe I missed it)

That's a steep drop at the 42 second mark of the video! Reminds me of a roller coaster ride
    Last edited by VAB2013; 12-04-2018 at 02:05 PM.

6. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gravity can be a blast - weeeeeeeeeee
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!