Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Thanks for chiming in Mike... We appreciate it... Jon - are the dies rotated any???
    Jim, would you be interested in taking a look at it in hand? I just realized I never sent you the 2017P DDO-005 examples to check the different die states too. Let me know if you're up for it.

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 11997755 View Post

I agree. Thank you for the link. Maybe the coin coin got "pinched" or hit with something on the obverse at the rim and the edge of the rim was against something solid.

Viv's explanation makes a lot of sense as well. (ejection error)
    You are welcome... I think Vivien is probably correct... Looks like maybe it stuck to the die and was pulled across in such a way that the abrasions were deposited in that area (if that makes sense)... No idea if that is even possible like the DDs on single squeeze hubbing that are not suppose to happen
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

4. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    Jim, would you be interested in taking a look at it in hand? I just realized I never sent you the 2017P DDO-005 examples to check the different die states too. Let me know if you're up for it.
    If you want me to... I thought maybe you didn't want me to look at your other coins Make me feel like the unwanted coin looker
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

6. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    If you want me to... I thought maybe you didn't want me to look at your other coins Make me feel like the unwanted coin looker
    Hah!! I'll send them out first of the week. I actually just remembered when I ran across them bundled up on my mess of a coin table! Sorry coin looker, didn't mean to slight you...

8. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hah!! I'll send them out first of the week. I actually just remembered when I ran across them bundled up on my mess of a coin table! Sorry coin looker, didn't mean to slight you...
    Cool... I look forward to going thru them with my Jim Glasses if I can find them
    Jim

10. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your coin looks like a Slight planchet clip to me. With a small/slight clip there is not enough metal to fill out the rim. It looks more like the Blakesley Effect on a coin with a larger clip. Good eye to notice it and really good photos.

12. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alurid View Post
    Your coin looks like a Slight planchet clip to me. With a small/slight clip there is not enough metal to fill out the rim. It looks more like the Blakesley Effect on a coin with a larger clip. Good eye to notice it and really good photos.
    Thank you sir, I appreciate the info!! I dropped them off at the post office today to send to Jim (jfines69), one of our fearless leaders, to take a closer look. We'll see what he comes up with too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim (jfines69), one of our fearless leaders, .
    Jim

15. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I finally got this figured out at least in my brain As we figured it is not a clipped planchet... The missing sliver is at a slight angle and does not go from obv to rev as a clip would be expected to do... To me the anomaly appears to be a struck thru and it appears to be the same over all length and shape (rounded end) as the sliver??? I think the sliver was sheared off and ended up on the planchet just prior to the strike... The obv die had a slight tilt since the inside of the rim (green arrows from about 7:00 to 2:00 CW) is chamfered... To me it appears the sliver was at the rim and the strike forced it into the rim (blue arrows) causing that area of the rim to be pushed outward and upward... That section of rim is higher than the rest of the rim... While there are signs of die flow lines I think the lines inside the anomaly are abrasions from the sliver scraping the planchet??? Since the anomaly is incuse on the coin I do not believe it would be die related damage as that should be in relief on the coin... My side by side with overlays of the anomaly were done with Direct Lighting (DL) and InDirect Lighting (IDL) to hopefully help in seeing the sliver a little better... Thanks Jon for letting me look at this coin in hand... I do appreciate it and your patience with me in getting this posted... Any and all comments/questions on my theory will be appreciated and I will do my best to respond!!!
    Jim

17. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent work Jim!! I had to read it twice but the way you explained it makes sense to me and eplaines the out of round "look" inside the rim which I was having a hard time with. The sliver created this by being pushed down and outward during the strike! Eureka!! Thank you for all your hard work and diligence Jim!!

19. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post