Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2003 P struck through or something else?

Found this 2003 P with what I think is a struck through; but I'm not sure if it's psd, just a stain, a RIDB or something else??? There is also the common small die chip "hornets nest" and it could be related to the anomaly through what I think could be a crack in the second column; but not sure of that relationship either???.
    Can you help?
    Thanks,
    Adrian
    Fri Nov 16 06-50-10.jpgFri Nov 16 06-49-36.jpgThu Nov 15 21-01-10.jpg

2. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting.
    More going on than it appears at first glance and it l
    ooks to be a fairly EDS coin. I can't see any die flow lines or obvious die wear or cracks.

What I'm seeing:
    Top of bay #1 looks to be die damage from ... multiple events. (Possible clash, equipment, mishandling of dies, etc?)

A)Triangular shaped anomaly (raised) in the bay #1 arch (135 degree approximate angle created at the bottom vertex).

B)A raised line just above the triangle and not parallel with the top edge of the triangle

C)A slightly curved raised line below and separated from the triangle that appears to continue onto the face of column #1. This curved line also appears to be parallel to the line above the triangle.

Some one with overlay capabilities might discover if any of this matches a design feature of a reverse or obverse die to rule out clash or counterclash?

Also there is a design anomaly at the right side of the arch at bay #3 at the secondary line (header/beam?) and it abruptly stops half way across.

It will be interesting to see what others with more knowledge (and better eyesight) have to say.

Added: looks like the triangle might match the upper left corner of the roof?

4. Thanks Coin5, VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Cliff, you have seen way more than I could even imagine, I was just curious about the big circular anomaly with raised edges looking like a massive crater, on the middle of bay 1 and affecting columns 1 and 2. I'm confused with the triangle tho... What I thought to be a die chip have what looks to me like 3 different triangular like features; but I think they are all part of the same "hornets nest" die chip??? The feature on top of bay 3 you observed is also interesting and I have no idea what could it be.
    Your observations prompted me to take more pics to help the analysis.
    Thanks again,
    Adrian
    Fri Nov 16 10-06-29.jpgFri Nov 16 10-06-46.jpgFri Nov 16 10-06-59.jpgFri Nov 16 10-07-14.jpgFri Nov 16 10-07-25.jpgFri Nov 16 10-07-42.jpgFri Nov 16 10-08-47.jpg

6. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not seeing all that Cliff is... but I think the circular portion below the small hornets nest is the beginning of a much larger hornets nest. Take a look at the size of some of these on cuds-on-coins and how many of them are covering up part of the second column. I can't really tell about the horizontal thing below the small hornets nest if it's a die crack or PSD? http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-cent-idb-1959-2008/

8. Thanks makecents, Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice breakdown there Cliff!! I would have to go along with Viv and the beginning of a large hornets nest though. Very cool Adrian!!

10. Thanks VAB2013, Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting Viv; but I still think the circular crater is struck through because it's incuse over column 2. Imho the beginning of a nest would be raised. This is one of the few times if any I desagree with you and Jon, so let's wait for other's opinions...
    Thanks,
    Adrian

12. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No worries Adrian! Its fine to disagree, that's what we are here for and making a mistake is no biggie! On your very last pic... it looks to me like the horizontal thing... I'm going to call it a die crack... is part of the circle. In other words... the circle begins and ends at that crack and the circle and the horizontal part looks like raised metal (die crack) Is that what you see? Is inside the circle incuse? Sorry I can't tell.

14. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Viv, the inner part of the circle is incuse over column #2; but I think is at the same level as bay #1 over it; but I don't think the relief is raised anywhere inside the circle. The edge is definitely raised and I agree with you now that it looks like a crack in some sections. I took a few more pics with te light from a different angle and it looks like there is a connecting small crack from the hornets nest to the circle over column #1.
    Thanks,
    Adrian
    Sat Nov 17 09-31-46.jpgSat Nov 17 09-34-08.jpgSat Nov 17 09-34-38.jpg

16. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Adrian for the follow up pics! Yeah I see what you're talking about at column 1 and the circle. I can't think of anything else it could be besides a pre-large die break (IDB) Maybe before the large portion of the IDB falls out of the die it does some strange things in the process. I would imagine it does, die cracks start chipping out and getting bigger and there may be some parts that are raised and some that are sunken in before the chunk of metal falls out of the die.

18. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Viv, looks like you are right one more time... Now, with the new pics and the connecting crack I can see the beginning of a large IDB to be a more likely scenario than the struck through I was thinking about at the beginning. You have convinced me of that. I guess with a struck through, the inside of the circle would be incuse also and it does not look so. I'm still uncertain as what could be the reason for the incuse area over column 2; but what you said about the odd behavior of the IDB early stages is also a plausible reason for that. After all, we already know bay #1 is a very prone area for the occurrence of die chips and IDBs.
    Thanks for your awesome help,
    Adrian

20. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post