Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1919s RPM? minor split serifs?

Additional Information
    Date: 1919
    Variety: RPM
    Mint: San Francisco

This was in the 25,000 and is in nice shape for a WWI era LC.
    For those of you that may not know, the mint used those dies (1917, 1918, and 1919) into the ground following WWI. Mint state examples came out of the mint with the details all blurry and worn just from the die use! (No circulation wear needed.)

Anyway, this coin appears to have a high EF-AU obverse but an VF reverse (probably from worn dies).
    I know It's not probable but I think there is a split on the upper and lower serif. I'm not sure if it will be visible to you with the quality of my images.
    If anyone would like to look at it in hand for imaging I would greatly appreciate it. Just say the word!
    Thanks again for looking and for all comments. Cliff
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks VAB2013, GrumpyEd, makecents, centMD, Sheila ruley thanked for this post
    Likes TPring, VAB2013, GrumpyEd, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before I read your post and the split serifs, I was thinking it looked like a separate primary S/SSW of the MM.

Good luck with that -- Lots o' 1919S's out there, surely [and don't call me Shirley] there are more RPMs than what has been identified to date.

Edit Question: When I clicked on your jpegs, they were deposited in my 'downloads' folder -- Did you save these as something special?
    Last edited by TPring; 11-19-2018 at 06:22 PM.

4. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TPring View Post
    Before I read your post and the split serifs, I was thinking it looked like a separate primary S/SSW of the MM.

Good luck with that -- Lots o' 1919S's out there, surely [and don't call me Shirley] there are more RPMs than what has been identified to date.

Edit Question: When I clicked on your jpegs, they were deposited in my 'downloads' folder -- Did you save these as something special?

Roger that, Roger Thanks for the encouraging words.

I don't think I did anything special other than maybe forgetting to click the "Done" button when the last one was uploaded, just before submitting. Hmmmmm.

Edit: Not sure why but images are defaulting to "Twinui" program to open the images. I'm not sure why because that is an annoying program. I used "Paint" to edit and resize, so I'm not sure what's happening. (Double Hmmmmmm and Dagnabbit.)

r
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 11-19-2018 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Add info on program

6. Likes VAB2013, TPring liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice 1919 Cliff, Congrats! You have got to be having a blast going through those bags! Have you tried to recruit the whole family to help you sort dates yet?

Can't tell about the RPM, your photo quality is very good but not quite close enough to see the splits that you are seeing in hand!

Here's what I think is happening with the pics going to our download folders. When you take the pic or edit it and save it as a jpeg, that must be a different file type than a jpg. Seems like jpeg's open differently on the forum and you have to let them go to your download folder before it will open to view it. If your camera, scope, phone, or editing software gives you the option to save it as a jpg, that is better because I think those files will open automatically in a separate tab. Personally I don't like to have to download photos to my computer because it just takes up space and I have to remember to keep going there to delete them all. Another thing is... with jpg's opening up in a separate tab it's a faster process to view them.

One way to check to see if this is the same for everybody's PC is to go to this thread and see how the pics open (some are jpeg's and some are jpg's) http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...le-new-listing
    Last edited by VAB2013; 11-19-2018 at 10:08 PM.

8. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post

Roger that, Roger ...

Edit: Not sure why but images are defaulting to "Twinui" program to open the images. I'm not sure why because that is an annoying program. I used "Paint" to edit and resize, so I'm not sure what's happening. (Double Hmmmmmm and Dagnabbit.)

r

Looks like you picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue...

10. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what I think is happening with the pics going to our download folders. When you take the pic or edit it and save it as a jpeg, that must be a different file type than a jpg. Seems like jpeg's open differently on the forum and you have to let them go to your download folder before it will open to view it. If your camera, scope, phone, or editing software gives you the option to save it as a jpg, that is better because I think those files will open automatically in a separate tab. Personally I don't like to have to download photos to my computer because it just takes up space and I have to remember to keep going there to delete them all. Another thing is... with jpg's opening up in a separate tab it's a faster process to view them.

One way to check to see if this is the same for everybody's PC is to go to this thread and see how the pics open (some are jpeg's and some are jpg's) http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...le-new-listing

I don't think the file types are any different other than the name. For me they all open the same and neither type tries to go into a folder. My guess is that it's your browser that does that, there is a way to to tell the browser how to open files based on file types and if your browser is set different then it does it differently and some browsers might default to something different.

Viv, if you have ever posted with both types you might try to rename your jpeg file as jpg without changing anything and post it and it might open normally. Trying it is the only way to verify.

12. Thanks VAB2013, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Very nice 1919 Cliff, Congrats! You have got to be having a blast going through those bags! Have you tried to recruit the whole family to help you sort dates yet?

Can't tell about the RPM, your photo quality is very good but not quite close enough to see the splits that you are seeing in hand!

Thanks for the link Viv. I noticed that as well recently. (Ed, I use Firefox for a browser.)
    ....But the
    .jpg (No e) images in the link you shared don't open in a new tab on my PC. I have to remember to use the "back" button/arrow.

The .jpg (no e) images also open quickly but I leave the site when I close the link.
    ....... Unless I remember to "right click" and open the image link in a new tab.
    ....... Similar to our posts from last couple of weeks about attaching images to a thread.

The .jpeg (with e) does require me to download and open, which takes foreeeeevvvvvveeeerrrr.
    ...... My PC opens with Twinui program as the default. I think I've tried using a different one but nothing else was offered by my PC. Anyone know how to use a different one and whether that will make a difference?
    ...... I'll have to experiment.

And yes this is a productive bag so far. But not enough hours in the day.

ED, which browser do you use?

14. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm having a hard time keeping up with your different threads!! I'm glad your finding so much good stuff in your big bags of coins (there's an acronym in there somewhere)!! Congrats Cliff!!

16. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another very cool find Cliff and, for what it is worth, I think I see the splits!! You are very busy!! Congrats!!

18. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments and encouraging words from everyone.
    Now to put it together with some others and send them in.

20. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, TPring liked this post