Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Thread: 1937D DD?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Answered: 1937D DD?

Im trying to check this one with CopperCoins 1937D-1DO-001 but not sure? The curved bottom of the E in we is what drew my attention, any help appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. "Inconclusive. This doubled die would be nearly impossible to ID on a circulated specimen such as yours."

3. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 67
    The E appears to have taken a hit. That's why it's bent up. Let's see what others think.

5. Thanks Dearing, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Dearing, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 94
    I think it could be but lets see what the more knowledgeable folks say. The mm position looks good. It's a very minor spread on this DDO, so it's kind of hard to tell. It does look like I can see similar die dots and scratches though. Let some other folks chime in.

7. Thanks Dearing, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 62
    I don't see thickness any where else and usually the very bottom of the base of E is straight (not curved and rounded). The top edge of the base of the E is what looks like a ski ramp.
    When the bottom is rounded like that, I've always chalked that up to older, worn dies.
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 11-25-2018 at 08:03 PM. Reason: clarify E with Ski ramp

9. Thanks Dearing, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing, makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    I don't see thickness any where else and usually the bottom of the base of E is straight (not curved and rounded).
    When the bottom is rounded like that, I've always chalked that up to older, worn dies.
    Cliff, did check out this on cc? There is very little spread. Not saying it is a DDO but the variety has very little noticeable doubling and as enamel stated, it looks as though the "E" has taken a hit. cc link (http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=mds) The DDO would be tough, in my opinion to attribute without an EDS or MDS, MS or at least high AU coin.

11. Thanks VAB2013, Dearing, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Dearing, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 62
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    Cliff, did check out this on cc? There is very little spread. Not saying it is a DDO but the variety has very little noticeable doubling and as enamel stated, it looks as though the "E" has taken a hit. cc link (http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=mds) The DDO would be tough, in my opinion to attribute without an EDS or MDS, MS or at least high AU coin.
    Thank you Jon for pointing this out. Unfortunately I neglected to look at the class of doubling for this DDO.
    I saw the E of WE mentioned and jumped to thinking it was class 6.
    My apologies to all.

13. Thanks makecents, VAB2013, Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013, Dearing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post

Thank you Jon for pointing this out. Unfortunately I neglected to look at the class of doubling for this DDO.
    I saw the E of WE mentioned and jumped to thinking it was class 6.
    My apologies to all.
    Nothing to apologize for but I think Will has said it all.

15. Thanks Petespockets55, VAB2013, Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, VAB2013, Dearing liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 392
    Inconclusive. This doubled die would be nearly impossible to ID on a circulated specimen such as yours.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

17. Thanks makecents, Petespockets55, VAB2013, Dearing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    Will is correct but as we know pics do not always show everything that is actually on the coin except for Rays photographs of course... With his we can even see Abes nose hairs I do have one observation and a question... The MM location is really close compared to CCs 001 http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=mds VVs 001 http://varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20D...937DDDO001.htm Did you try to match any of the markers on CC or VV??? While CC only has MDS VV has Stage B thru Stage E!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

19. Thanks Dearing, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Will is correct but as we know pics do not always show everything that is actually on the coin except for Rays photographs of course... With his we can even see Abes nose hairs I do have one observation and a question... The MM location is really close compared to CCs 001 http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=mds VVs 001 http://varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20D...937DDDO001.htm Did you try to match any of the markers on CC or VV??? While CC only has MDS VV has Stage B thru Stage E!!!
    I haven't used VV yet, Ill give it a whirl after while... thank you for the link Jim

21. Likes makecents liked this post