Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1945 PSD?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

1945 PSD?

I was just wondering if these three things are PSD, I figure the top of the coin one is but def not sure about the bottom 2?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks makecents, Lunstedt thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got ya a nice, well circulated silver war nickel! Can't really tell for sure on any but I'll give you some things to check out. Your not goint to hurt this coin at this point, so I would take a little acetone to the red mark going through the "TE" of STATES, I think it's from a marker. The area at the "ST" of STATES could be PSD, a struck through or maybe even a Blow Hole that has smoothed over (http://www.error-ref.com/ragged-perforations/) . The area at the "N" of UNUM could be a struck through (http://www.error-ref.com/?s=struck+through) or a Lamination that has fallen off (http://www.error-ref.com/?s=lamination) . All this is just conjecture but will give you some good reading!

4. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing, Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I enlarge the first image, the red mark seems to be separated from the other metal.
    Wondering if this could be a retained struck through copper fragment or lamination if it was part of the Planchet but has been exposed because of wear?

6. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing, makecents, Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    When I enlarge the first image, the red mark seems to be separated from the other metal.
    Wondering if this could be a retained struck through copper fragment or lamination if it was part of the Planchet but has been exposed because of wear?
    Finally got a better pic of this one with the new scope, I think that might be a copper fragment, as you stated.... acetone wont take it off
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Thanks GrumpyEd, makecents, Lunstedt thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, makecents, Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in with PSD... Good call... The circ wear has worn things down a bit!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

10. Thanks Dearing, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing, makecents, Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like a stain or something stuck to the coin.

These war nickels were not clad or plated and there was no copper layer. The metal is an alloy.
    If there was a copper fragment there then it would probably cross the letters, plus there was no copper layer for it to come from.

Acetone takes some stuff off but not everything, it's probably something that acetone does not take off that is stuck there, something soft enough that it wore off the high spots on the letters.

Even if it was copper, it wouldn't be valuable to me and where would it come from?
    With that in mind if it was mine I'd put in my regular war time nickel pile.
    Probably not much to lose by scraping at it but that's destructive if it was some copper thing but I doubt it was.

12. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing, makecents, Lunstedt, Rowdyricster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    It looks like a stain or something stuck to the coin.

These war nickels were not clad or plated and there was no copper layer. The metal is an alloy.
    If there was a copper fragment there then it would probably cross the letters, plus there was no copper layer for it to come from.

Acetone takes some stuff off but not everything, it's probably something that acetone does not take off that is stuck there, something soft enough that it wore off the high spots on the letters.

Even if it was copper, it wouldn't be valuable to me and where would it come from?
    With that in mind if it was mine I'd put in my regular war time nickel pile.
    Probably not much to lose by scraping at it but that's destructive if it was some copper thing but I doubt it was.
    Yeah, I see what yr saying... it just appears to be on top of the silver but it would make sense for it to have crossed the devices too I tried very aggressively with my fingers with the acetone to rub it off to no avail. I know it aint worth anything, I just enjoy the task of figuring out when what and how it happened lol Thank you for yr help, it prolly is some type of stain of some sorts

14. Thanks GrumpyEd thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, GrumpyEd, Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent new image Dearing.
    My bad, because I think I only did a quick look at the closeup image of the anomaly and didn't even realize it was a war nickel!

With that said, I agree there shouldn't have been any copper in the planchet but the new image real clear and appears to show copper "curling" up the sides of T E from the field. It isn't on the face but could easily have worn away from the heavy circulation this coin has been through. there even appear to be die flow lines on the copper "color".

I also agree this in this condition it has minimal value but it is definitely worth hanging onto IMHO. It's not very often you see copper on a war nickel.

16. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Dearing, Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Excellent new image Dearing.
    My bad, because I think I only did a quick look at the closeup image of the anomaly and didn't even realize it was a war nickel!

With that said, I agree there shouldn't have been any copper in the planchet but the new image real clear and appears to show copper "curling" up the sides of T E from the field. It isn't on the face but could easily have worn away from the heavy circulation this coin has been through. there even appear to be die flow lines on the copper "color".

I also agree this in this condition it has minimal value but it is definitely worth hanging onto IMHO. It's not very often you see copper on a war nickel.
    Thank you on the pic, I do like this newer scope lol Thats interesting on yr assessment, I am going to hold onto it, I do most, just in case lol thank you

18. Likes Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome new pic... Looks like a struck thru copper fragment... Looks like it is a really thin piece of copper... Cool!!!

Added - To bad it's not a lincoln - I could put it into Error Attributions - Struck Though!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

20. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing liked this post