Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

1945s "Inverted Mint Mark"?

I think I found another good coin in that mysterious $5 in dimes I received... It's a 1945s inverted mint mark... they only used 2 mint marks in 1945 on the winged Liberty dimes (ball serif & micro s) I'm fairly sure this is an upside down ball serif... what do ya'll think???
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks Lunstedt thanked for this post
    Likes Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to VV there are 3 MM styles for the 1945S Mercury Dime, MMS-004 (Trumpet Tail), MMS-006 (Ball serif w/flat spot on lower ball) and MMS-007 (Micro)... The inverted is the MMS-006 which yours could be but unfortunately due to the heavy circ wear I can't tell for sure... VV has 1 listed inverted MM for the 45S but since they are no longer considered rare VV does not track individual dies... Wexler also only lists 1... Hope that helps a bit!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

4. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing, Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    According to VV there are 3 MM styles for the 1945S Mercury Dime, MMS-004 (Trumpet Tail), MMS-006 (Ball serif w/flat spot on lower ball) and MMS-007 (Micro)... The inverted is the MMS-006 which yours could be but unfortunately due to the heavy circ wear I can't tell for sure... VV has 1 listed inverted MM for the 45S but since they are no longer considered rare VV does not track individual dies... Wexler also only lists 1... Hope that helps a bit!!!
    Ok cool, the site I looked at prolly wasn't updated on the 3rd... thank ya for the info. Yeah it is hard to tell, but look how much skinnier it is on the bottom curve than the top? I just figured the mint mark was repunched lol thank ya for the help and info Jim

6. Likes Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearing View Post
    Ok cool, the site I looked at prolly wasn't updated on the 3rd... thank ya for the info. Yeah it is hard to tell, but look how much skinnier it is on the bottom curve than the top? I just figured the mint mark was repunched lol thank ya for the help and info Jim
    I saw the skinny section but with the location of the skinny area highly similar to MMS-004 and the heavy circ wear it could also be a normal 004!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

8. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ahh.... I understand now, thank ya Jim

10. Likes Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearing View Post
    ahh.... I understand now, thank ya Jim
    I hope I helped you a bit... Some of this stuff can blow the mind into little pieces... I still have found all my pieces yet
    Jim

12. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    I hope I helped you a bit... Some of this stuff can blow the mind into little pieces... I still have found all my pieces yet
    Oh yeah, you most def always help, Jim... always much appreciated

14. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69, Lunstedt liked this post