Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheila ruley View Post
    I seen some of your listings on cuds on coins. Very nice!
    Not sure who you were talking to?? Everyone who has replied to your thread... including yourself... have lots of nice listings on cuds-on-coins! It's fun to scroll down the list in all categories of COC's and see all the LCF names... including Earl's!!!

2. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Might I suggest that it looks to be a plating issue rather than a die crack.
    One of the photos seems to show the anomaly affecting the area that was formed by the collar which would imply there were matching cracks in the reverse die and the collar.

John
    So sad ... My reverse consumption engine was a broken fuel gauge ... gonna look at coins now. John

4. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Paid Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for my not being clear. That was for everyone. I thought I worded it right. Sorry about that everyone. All of you guys have awesome looking listings! I enjoy going through them when I get some extra time.

6. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneman227 View Post
    Might I suggest that it looks to be a plating issue rather than a die crack.
    One of the photos seems to show the anomaly affecting the area that was formed by the collar which would imply there were matching cracks in the reverse die and the collar.

John
    John, are you talking about where the crack is at T of States and goes to the rim and through the edge of the coin?

8. Thanks stoneman227 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's it Viv . If you look at all the spiked heads that have been found and note where these cracks terminate at the rim, you'll see that they do not wrap over and include the edge. The reason for this is because the edge is formed by the third die, the collar. Both the collar and the reverse die in the case of this coin would have to have cracks terminating in the exact same spot.
    Also, the collar and the two facial dies do have a tiny bit of space ,or clearance you might say , between them. This is what allows the creation of edge finning. Even if somehow a crackrd collar and a cracked facial die were to line up , there would be a tiny interruption of the raised metal on the coin where the two cracked dies almost but dont precisely touch.
    Viv , in the same photo, also note the very dark line created by the anomaly as it goes through the E of EPU and the T of STATES. Even the taller design elements don't cast this dark of a shadow . To me this indicates a recessed part of the coins face instead of a raised area that would be caused by a cracked die.

John
    Last edited by stoneman227; 12-01-2018 at 03:00 AM.
    So sad ... My reverse consumption engine was a broken fuel gauge ... gonna look at coins now. John

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Paid Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! That’s a great description! Now your really making me wonder guys! How would I be able to tell for sure? Or is there a way for me to test it?

12. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheila ruley View Post
    Yes, it does go through to the rim.
    Cool... Thanks for the follow up!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

14. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the area in B4 is a deep gas bubble... Since it appears to butt up against C5 if it were die related I would think that C5 would show some distortion??? John brings up a good point on the crack - To me it still appears to be all crack but there is some corrosion going on under the plating that has caused some areas to split... The area at the rim may have taken a hit??? If the collar was cracked in that area there would be evidence on the coins edge known as a vertical collar crack... Check out Error ref http://www.error-ref.com/?s=collar+cracks About the only way to tell for sure on what you actually have is an in hand look... If JC thinks your coin may be suitable for a UDC he may want to see it in hand first... Hope that helps a bit!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

16. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much John and Jim for this explanation! We had the same thing show up on one of Adrian's posts where he thought it was a spike and the crack extended to the edge of the coin. That made me think then that it was not a spike but I couldn't understand why or what it was. Now this is making sense! Let me look back to find Adrian's thread because I can't remember what happened... whether it got listed or if that was one that JC requested more pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the link to Adrian (Coin5) thread. I'm thinking that his find is not related to this at all. His looks more like PSD to me and the shiny cent is making pics difficult.

http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...ighlight=coin5