Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Answered: Shield Doubled Die searching tips

Are there different indicators that identify a doubled die on the newer shield cents that would help me? I noticed on the shield coins some of the letters are split when you view up close like the E, T, and S and it got a little confusing to me. I've looked at some pics on Wexlers and cant really see a difference right now. If anyone has any tips or pointers or anything that might help me identify a shield doubled die it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Derrel

2. "
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I did not suceed in getting photos dowloaded. The files were to big to put on here and couldnt format picture to a smaller size. I have no wifi and cant afford extra cost at the moment. Unfortunately my health stituation is making it hard to get much needed extra cash at the moment. I will get better but just taking awhile. Ill get photos on here some how and some way. And when I do prepare to be blown away (just kidding) but will be happy to finally share what Ive found from customer wrapped and bank rolls.
    I do hope this won't black list me here but over at the coin community site there is a free image optmizer. You can upload your image, resize, then download the results to use here
    https://www.coincommunity.com/image-optimizer/
    Don't shoot me y'all !

John"

3. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 94
    Many of the shield DD's are subtle and harder to pick out. The biggest thing to look for is notching on some or all of the letters of LIBERTY. (http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=eds)

Sometimes there are thicknesses in the letters, either the vertical or the horizontal. (http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=eds)

You also have the distorted looking date that will give it away sometimes and a zero that looks like a football. (http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=mds)

The reverses are usually very obvious if found in "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA". (http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=mds)

There are times on the reverse it's only the initials too, they will be chunky or distorted looking. (http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=eds)

It takes time to get a feel for them and even when you do, you will think you have one when you don't and can also overlook them because they are not as apparent.

5. Thanks VAB2013, Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Dearing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 62
    Usually with modern cents thickness to some of the devices, usually letters or numbers, can be distorted.
    You will find the interior of 0's that look like footballs (right Jon?). Initials on the reverse might be distorted at a diagonal direction.

Wexler usually has a description of where the thickness is most prevalent.

Copper Coins has some modern DDO/DDR's and look at Variety Vista as well. More extreme examples make it easier to see areas to focus on and the way the doubling distorts a normal looking device.

7. Thanks Dearing, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Dearing, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Usually with modern cents thickness to some of the devices, usually letters or numbers, can be distorted.
    You will find the interior of 0's that look like footballs (right Jon?). Initials on the reverse might be distorted at a diagonal direction.

Wexler usually has a description of where the thickness is most prevalent.

Copper Coins has some modern DDO/DDR's and look at Variety Vista as well. More extreme examples make it easier to see areas to focus on and the way the doubling distorts a normal looking device.
    Ok, Ill take a look at some of the newer ones on CC and VV, thank you for the info and tips

9. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    Good question! Personally I zip through Shield cents pretty fast. Concentrate on the 20 of the date and the TY of Liberty. Then the LB and JFM. There are some listed Shield cents that are really very nice DDO's and DDR's and you will catch those right away. For the ones that are kind of minor if you're not sure about them... what I would do is put them aside and look at the same dates together so you can compare them to the listings.

11. Thanks Dearing, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing, Petespockets55, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank ya'll, already I feel more confident searching through 'em Very much appreciated

13. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Petespockets55, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    Many of the shield DD's are subtle and harder to pick out. The biggest thing to look for is notching on some or all of the letters of LIBERTY. (http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=eds)

Sometimes there are thicknesses in the letters, either the vertical or the horizontal. (http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=eds)

You also have the distorted looking date that will give it away sometimes and a zero that looks like a football. (http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=mds)

The reverses are usually very obvious if found in "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA". (http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=mds)

There are times on the reverse it's only the initials too, they will be chunky or distorted looking. (http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=eds)

It takes time to get a feel for them and even when you do, you will think you have one when you don't and can also overlook them because they are not as apparent.
    These pics here are why I have been having trouble with the shields... Is this what MD looks like on the shields maybe or is this one doubled or am I just examining them too closely.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...and this one too, I couldn't fit it on the other post... is that what a notch looks like on the E?
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    Unfortunately what I am seeing is a lot of glare from lighting. Have you tried to cover your LED's with something? If your scope's LED lights are in a circle, the paper cutout in the shape of a donut is a good thing to try. Also, some people suggested putting a small piece of electrical tape over every other light and scotch tape over the other lights. I tried that with my old scope and the lights started burning out, not sure if the tape had anything to do with that but since then I just use the paper donut thing.

Also... it would be best to start with Philly Shields because there are only two Denver Shield DDO's and one Denver DDR listed.

What I suggest is.. sort your Shields by date. Then look over the listings for the particular date you are searching and start comparing your coins to the listings and to each other. This will help you spot the ones that have extra thickness, distortion or notching. You are going to see a whole bunch that are going to look the same (normal) but the great thing about looking at the normal ones is... when a doubled die shows up you will be able to tell it's not normal looking!
    Last edited by VAB2013; 12-03-2018 at 10:42 PM.

19. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Unfortunately what I am seeing is a lot of glare from lighting. Have you tried to cover your LED's with something? If your scope's LED lights are in a circle, the paper cutout in the shape of a donut is a good thing to try. Also, some people suggested putting a small piece of electrical tape over every other light and scotch tape over the other lights. I tried that with my other scope and the lights started burning out, not sure if the tape had anything to do with that but since then I just use the paper donut thing.

Also... it would be best to start with Philly Shields because there are only two Denver Shield DDO's and one Denver DDR listed.

What I suggest is.. sort your Shields by date. Then look over the listings for the particular date you are searching and start comparing your coins to the listings and to each other. This will help you spot the ones that have extra thickness, distortion or notching. You are going to see a whole bunch that are going to look the same (normal) but the great thing about looking at the normal ones is... when a doubled die shows up you will be able to tell it's not normal looking!
    So its my leds that are messing with me lol I just wont use them on the shields, maybe that will help me.... Thank you I have yet too see notching so im not comfortable with what it looks like yet... even after seeing pics lol

21. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post