Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    ... I get some change and will occasionally look at some that isn't copper!

Just don't answer the door if you hear a knock...
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice -- Freewill

2. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And the winner is .... John (Stoneman227)
    Thanks for the insight John about the curvature of the die face being the reason why it appears to be "deeper" in the center of the coin. My understanding improves with every post. Thanks to everyone here.

I shared this coin with the CoinCommunity.com forum and got some additional insight.
    LINK to CC Forum Post .
    I get lucky every now and then !

John
    So sad ... My reverse consumption engine was a broken fuel gauge ... gonna look at coins now. John

4. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneman227 View Post
    I get lucky every now and then !

John
    Much more than luck!

6. Thanks stoneman227 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TPring View Post
    Just don't answer the door if you hear a knock...
    Because looking at coins other than Lincoln's might be illegal in some circles and could lead to SWAT raids and mugshots?

8. Likes TPring liked this post
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to put a damper in things but you are not remembering that the dies are conical only when they are made originally. It is in this shape to facilitate the movement of metal into the recesses of the die. Once they are hubbed, the die face is flat...there is no more cone shape. Any abrading is done after this point. You need to also remember that the coin blanks are flat also.

IMHO, this particular die suffers from over zealous polishing/abrading. These are not feeder finger scrapes either.
    Last edited by mustbebob; 01-03-2019 at 08:26 AM.
    Bob Piazza
    Lincoln Cent Attributer
    coppercoins.com

10. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Bob for the reminder about the die face being flat.
    Just last night your comments about the shape of the die face from a previous post came back to me and made me question the "feeder finger" conclusion.
    (How a flat piece of metal, the feeder finger, traveling in a straight line could produce a gouge that was deeper in the middle of the die. )
    Some aggressive die polishing is what first came to mind. I guess I got confused because I've never seen such deep,
    perfectly centered and parallel die scratches from die polishing (especially with a perfect E-W alignment.) Maybe it was a machine mounted grinder or wire wheel doing the polishing. Just thinking out loud here but, I still can't figure out why it would have needed polishing in the first place because it appears to be EDS with NO signs of a clash on the obverse die.

Guess I'll file this one under 'Things the mint does that makes me go "HUH?"' -
    Man that long list is growing longer in stead of shorter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted a similar dime somewhere, sometime ago. That narrows it down doesn't it?!? I'll try to find it and link it. I am almost positive that was the same conclusion drawn. The angle of the damage made me question the feeder finger theory. Almost all the examples I have seen on Lincolns are near a 45 degree angle, except the old wheats (north/south). I have never seen any east/west.

Edit:
    Crap, it was on Coin Talk, before I was banned. I don't like that place so if you don't mind I will post 1 image of mine. It was a 2017-P.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jay4202472000; 01-04-2019 at 07:06 AM.

Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It really is difficult to understand what causes some dies to be abraded like they are, but I may be able to shine some light on it.
    During my second mint tour in 1999, I watched them abrade a die with what appeared to be a Dremel like tool. There are plenty of pedistal type grinders/buffers in the die shop as well. At that time, I was told that sometimes dies get tools or other heavy items (maybe another die during transport) dropped on them. Sometimes, the dies get dropped during installation. The resulting dings, dents. scrapes, etc. are then abraded. a lot of these drops tend to chip the edges of the incuse devices of the die. They abrade them to try and even out the surfaces so large(r) chips don't show up on the struck coin. This could very well account for abrading on an EDS die.
    I guess ultimately, we should remember that the Mint is nothing more than a large machine shop. As much as they try to send out a good product, s**t happens!
    Bob Piazza
    Lincoln Cent Attributer
    coppercoins.com

14. Thanks VAB2013, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, I love hearing first hand accounts of experiences and information of visits to the mint.
    I've actually imagined a machine shop scenario at the mint making it easier for mishaps to occur. And many types of fixed in place and manual equipment like I use in remodelling. Different types of tools to accomplish the same task with slightly different restrictions or limitations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, I love hearing first hand accounts of experiences and information of visits to the mint.
    I've actually imagined a machine shop scenario at the mint making it easier for mishaps to occur. And many types of fixed in place and manual equipment like I use in remodelling. Different types of tools to accomplish the same task with slightly different restrictions or limitations.
    Not that Bob is old but he has some good 1st hand info on the first coin presses the mints used You said this dime is an EDS??? The edge of the die wear down faster than the center and result in a convex shape, as opposed to conical, to the die face... The later die stages are what gives us the clashes on cheeks, necks, jackets and hair areas... If memory serves me correctly the mint uses the same presses for all denomination of coin??? If that is the case the the design and travel of the feeder fingers would be the same... If the abrasions on yours coin are feeder finger damage then the dies were installed in a different way compared to the CENT dies!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

17. Likes mustbebob, Petespockets55 liked this post