Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Answered: 1957D CC1957D-1MM-037

I'm not sure what's going on at the top of this mint mark on the coin but I think the MM position matches along with having the marker of the filled in bottom of B in liberty? Is that enough to match this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dearing; 11-30-2018 at 09:38 AM.

2. "Could be a well-placed hit. The overall height of the L looks reduced there."

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 392
    No, that isn't enough to conclude a match. There were plenty of filled Bs in this era. I'd be happy to look at a clearer picture if you can, but from what I see on that one, it looks more like a hit on the mint mark.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

4. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 62
    The top of the 5 is starting to get a die chip in it also. The two of those are helpful along with the other markers.

MM placement is one of the best places to start for non Philly coins.

6. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearing View Post
    I'm not sure what's going on at the top of this mint mark on the coin but I think the MM position matches along with having the marker of the filled in bottom of B in liberty? Is that enough to match this one?
    I think your right it took a hit, thank yall

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    Can not really tell with the close up... The pic is to dark... it does look like it took a serious hit... A couple things to remember when searching for RPM matches... The MM has to be in the same location and rotation as well as any splits/separations there may be... When there are multiple similar RPMs markers come next... Obv markers are best since rev dies could have been changed... Do not forget there are multiple sites that list the varieties in this case you referenced CCs 1MM-037 http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/d...&die_state=mds which crosses over to VVs RPM-016 http://varietyvista.com/02a%20LC%20R...957DRPM016.htm CC has only the MDS die stage while VV has Stage B and C... More chances to match markers... While your MM looks really close to the correct location for CC 037/VV 016 I think the damaged MM will make it next to impossible to tell for sure???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

9. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post